Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua showdown inches closer to reality

·3 min read

A showdown between heavyweight titleholder Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua is another step closer to reality.

Joshua has accepted terms presented by Fury last week — a 60-40% split of revenue in Fury’s favor and the date of the proposed fight, Dec. 3 – according to a tweet from Joshua’s manager, 258 Management. Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren responded by saying a contract was on its way.

Eddie Hearn, Joshua’s promoter, said last week that 60-40 was acceptable. The management company’s announcement confirms it.

“258 and Matchroom Boxing can confirm, on behalf of Anthony Joshua, that we accepted all terms presented to us by Fury’s team for a fight Dec 3rd last Friday. Due to the Queen’s passing, it was agreed to halt all communication. We are awaiting a response.”

Warren tweeted back:

“Contract will be with you very soon.”

The site of the fight has not been determined, although 80,000-seat Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, reportedly is a leading candidate because it has a retractable roof.

The sides have not indicated hos television/streaming rights will be handled, which can be a sticking point. Fury is aligned with BT Sports in the U.K. and ESPN in the U.S. Joshua is affiliated with DAZN.

Hearn cautioned in an interview with IFL TV last Wednesday: “In essence, we accepted the offer. Lots of conversations to be had.”

Fury spoke to TalkSport the same day.

“I think [60-40] is more than generous,” he said. “I didn’t want to go in and start offering them 20% like they would’ve done to me. However, I really want this fight to happen as [Oleksandr] Usyk – the little middleweight – doesn’t want no smoke like I thought he didn’t, and now I’m going after AJ.

“I’ve already beat Deontay Wilder, so there’s only one other person and that’s AJ, the bodybuilder! So, why not give him 40 percent? Give him no excuses and let’s get the fight made for the British public.”

The long-awaited matchup would’ve seemed unlikely a few weeks ago because Fury was expected to fight Usyk for the undisputed championship. However, Usyk indicated he wouldn’t be available until next year.

Fury wants to get back into the ring in the meantime. Enter Joshua, who is coming off back-to-back losses to Usyk but remains a marketable fighter. Indeed, a all-British Fury-Joshua matchup would be a huge event, particularly in the U.K.

Fury and Joshua appeared headed for a showdown last year. However, a judge in the U.S. ruled that Fury was obliged to honor a rematch agreement and fight Wilder a third time.

That fight took place in October and Fury stopped Wilder in 11 rounds, his second consecutive KO of the former champion. He went on to knockout Dillian Whyte in six rounds this past April, Fury’s most recent fight.

Meanwhile, Joshua lost three of the four major titles to Usyk by a unanimous decision in September of last year and then lost a split decision in the rematch on Aug. 20. That should give him plenty of time to prepare for a fight with Fury in December.

Like boxing? Be sure to visit Boxing Junkie for all your coverage of the sweet science and follow @BoxingJunkie2 on Twitter.

Story originally appeared on MMA Junkie