- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
The New England Patriots are on their way to potentially hoisting their sixth Lombardi Trophy. This team continues to dominate in the NFL, making nine Super Bowl appearances since the 2001 season. But this dynasty probably doesn’t exist without one man: Bill Belichick. Nineteen years ago today, the Patriots hired Belichick as their head coach.
Before Belichick arrived in Foxborough, he served as the Cleveland Browns’ head coach from 1991-1995. And his coaching resume at the time was horrible.
Because of Belichick’s mediocre resume, the hiring drew mixed reviews from around the league.
Now, let’s fast forward 19 years later. It’s no secret that Patriots owner Robert Kraft made the right decision by hiring Belichick. Over those 19 seasons, the Patriots are 304-225 in the regular season and 29-10 in the postseason. Oh, and let’s not forget this: They won five Super Bowls in eight appearances.
While the Patriots made the right hire at the time, other franchises struggled finding the right coach.
Belichick is arguably the best head coach of all time. There’s nothing else to say.
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Djokovic blows past Nadal to win record seventh Australian Open
• Warriors hold off Celtics in potential NBA Finals preview
• Iole: Emelianenko’s legecy secure despite one-sided KO vs. Bader
• Sunday marks 19-year anniversary of Patriots hiring Belichick as head coach