Tito Ortiz’s win over Alberto ‘El Patron’ Rodriguez inexplicably changed to no contest

MMAWeekly.com Staff
MMA Weekly
Tito Ortiz - Liddell vs Ortiz 3 - 2151
Tito Ortiz - Liddell vs Ortiz 3 - 2151

UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz's most recent victory has been inexplicably changed to a no contest.

Ortiz submitted MMA fighter and former professional wrestling champion Alberto "El Patron" Rodriguez at the 3:10 mark of the first round of their Combate Americas: Tito vs. Alberto pay-per-view headlining bout on Dec. 7, 2019. It was Ortiz's first fight under a new contract with Combate Americas and his second bout since returning from retirement while under the Bellator banner. Ortiz knocked out UFC rival Chuck Liddell in the third of their trilogy of fights in November of 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

The former UFC champion made quick work of El Patron. His wealth of experience was evident from the opening moments of the fight. The two exchanged a couple of punches before El Patron took Ortiz to the canvas, but Ortiz immediately scrambled to side control and never looked back.

Though El Patron escaped to his feet a couple of times, Ortiz continually put him back on the mat, all the while punching relentlessly. El Patron kept trying to find a way out, but Ortiz eventually took his back and sank a rear-naked choke that forced him to tap out. 

The recent decision by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation seemed to have come out of nowhere and with no explanation.

TRENDING > Israel Adesanya apologizes after being called out for crumbling ‘Twin Towers’ 9/11 remark

“The results of the fight were changed pending further investigation,” TDLR public information officer Tela Mange told MMA Junkie, who first reported news of the change in result.

The change in result after Ortiz was initially declared the victor would seem to indicate that reasoning for the change lies on the Ortiz side of the equation, but without any further comment from the TDLR or any of the parties involved, there is no clear-cut answer.

The TDLR did not give a timeline for its investigation.

The 44-year-old Ortiz inked a multi-fight deal with Combate Americas in April of 2019. He told TMZ Sports at the time, “After I fought Chuck last year, I thought it was gonna be my last one. But my body’s intact, everything’s fast, everything’s great. Sparring’s been good. Training’s been great. So let’s do one more for fun. Let’s do one for fun.”

It now remains to be seen why the result of his fight with El Patron was changed and what his future with Combate Americas holds.

What to Read Next