Another teenager has been arrested following after a 52-year-old man was stabbed to death outside a branch of Greggs on Wednesday.
Peter Duncan, 52, had reportedly stepped in to break up a fight at a shopping centre in Newcastle when he was brutally attacked with a screwdriver.
Northumbria Police said on Friday that a 15-year-old boy had been arrested, and was being held in custody.
A total of eight people have now been arrested as part of the investigation, including a 14-year-old, two other 15-year-olds and four 17-year-olds.
Both the 15-year-olds and two of the 17-year-olds have since been released with no further action, while the 14-year-old has been released pending further investigation.
After the attack, Mr Duncan was taken to the city’s Royal Victoria Infirmary but died, and a murder inquiry was launched.
Northumbria Police said the investigation was at an early stage but it appeared there has been a “coming together” at the entrance to the shopping centre.
They confirmed Mr Duncan, from Newcastle, had been stabbed once in the chest.
READ MORE FROM YAHOO UK:
Pictured: 'Devoted father', 52, stabbed to death with screwdriver near Greggs as seven teens are arrested
Police cordoned off the shopping centre and Old Eldon Square – an open area with a war memorial which has long been a meeting area for young people.
Mr Duncan’s family paid tribute saying he will be in their “hearts and thoughts every day”.
They said in a statement: “Peter was a kind and caring man who was always first to help others.
“He was a devoted father, husband, son, brother, uncle and friend and loved by all who knew him. His death will leave such a huge hole in our lives and he’ll be deeply missed by us all.
“Words can’t quite describe what life will be like without him.
“He had so much of his life left to live and he’ll be in our hearts and thoughts every day.”
Northumbria Police Area Commander, Chief Superintendent Ged Noble, said: “This was a tragic incident and our thoughts go out to Peter’s family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.
“They continue to be given any support they may need by a team of specialist officers.
“Peter’s family have requested that their privacy is respected during this difficult time.
“I appreciate the communities we serve will have concerns and I want to reassure the public and businesses that we are doing all we can to prevent incidents of this tragic nature and ensure people feel safe.
“We will be continuing extra patrols in the area and I would urge anyone with concerns to speak to an officer.
“We are committed to finding out the circumstances behind Peter’s death, and I’d like to thank members of the public who’ve been in touch passing on information that could assist detectives with this investigation.
“Our enquiries will continue and I would ask anyone who witnessed the incident, who are yet to come forward, to pick up the phone and contact police.”