Suarez confirms he will not return to Stewart-Haas Racing in 2020

Staff Report

Daniel Suarez confirmed on Thursday night via a video to his fans on Twitter that he will not return to Stewart-Haas Racing for the 2020 NASCAR Cup Series season.

“I’m here to confirm the bad news that some of you guys already know and some of you guys are trying to figure out that I won’t be back next year in the 41 car,” Suarez said in the video, which you can see below.

RELATED: Key players in Silly Season | Custer on 2020 report: Focused on this weekend

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

“I am extremely disappointed at the outcome but it’s the way it is sometimes. I‘m sure something else will be waiting for me.”

After Suarez revealed the news, SHR issued a statement that read: “Daniel Suarez is the epitome of class. He is a world-class race car driver and an even better person who has represented Stewart-Haas Racing and its partners extremely well. We have much respect and admiration for Daniel, and genuinely wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”

A report earlier on Thursday from Motorsport.com indicated that SHR Xfinity Series driver Cole Custer would replace Suarez in the No. 41 SHR Ford Mustang in 2020, according to its sources. During his Championship 4 Media Day availability, Custer did not confirm that report when asked.

“Right now, I‘m just trying to focus on the championship,” Custer said. “I’ve just really tried to stay out of it. I mean, honestly, this is a really big weekend for us to win a championship in the Xfinity Series.”

Suarez is about to complete his first season at SHR in the sport’s top series and is currently 17th in the point standings with four top fives and 11 top 10s on the season. He came to SHR following a two-year Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series stint at Joe Gibbs Racing from 2017-18. The 27-year-old also won the 2016 Xfinity Series Championship for JGR.

What to Read Next