A's GM Forst says plan still is for Puk to be a starter originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea
When A’s rookie A.J. Puk was shut down quickly after a spring training outing in March, many were worried it would be yet another setback for the 25-year-old.
And it was.
Puk underwent left-shoulder surgery last month, in which Dr. Neal ElAtrrache performed a debridement of his labrum and rotator cuff. But despite his latest surgery -- Puk underwent Tommy John in April of 2018 -- the A’s still plan to use him as a starter.
“We haven’t talked about anything other than him starting, and it’s still pretty early in his post-surgery rehab,” A’s general manager David Forst said on Friday. “But by all accounts, the surgery was as minimal as we had hoped and I think Nick [Paparesta], told you guys that Dr. ElAttrache put a timeline that hopefully, he could be ready for spring training.”
Forst also said Puk is doing well following the procedure.
RELATED: Bringing Marcus Semien back a top priority for A's front office
Puk made his MLB debut during the 2019 season, where he had a 3.18 ERA and 13 strikeouts in 11 1/3 innings of relief.
He looked promising during his short-lived Cactus League outings earlier in 2020. Hopefully for Puk and the A's, this is merely another small setback for what looks to be a very promising career for the young pitcher.