Sofia Kenin withdrew from the U.S. Open on Wednesday night after she said that she tested positive for COVID-19.
Kenin, who won the Australian Open last year, is fully vaccinated.
I plan to spend the next several weeks getting healthy and preparing to play well this fall. Thank you all for supporting me. I want to wish all the players the best of luck in New York. 2/2
— Sofia Kenin (@SofiaKenin) August 26, 2021
Kenin said that her symptoms are mild, which she credited the vaccine for, but she isn’t sure when she will return.
The 22-year-old is currently ranked No. 5 in the world. She last competed at Wimbledon, where she was knocked out in the second round by Madison Brengale. Kenin beat Garbine Muguruza to win the Australian Open last year, which marked her first Grand Slam win. She fell in the finals at the French Open later that year, too.
Kenin latest star to WD from U.S. Open
Kenin is just the latest big name to pull out from the U.S. Open, which is set to start Monday in New York.
Serena Williams announced earlier on Wednesday that she had withdrawn due to a torn hamstring. Her sister Venus Williams withdrew hours later due to a leg injury of her own.
Roger Federer already pulled out of the event with a knee injury, and Rafael Nadal did the same with a foot injury. This year’s tournament will mark the first without Nadal, Federer or the Williams sisters since 1997.
Defending champion Dominic Theim announced already that he will miss due to a wrist injury, and Stan Wawrinka is still recovering from a foot surgery.
Singles draws are set to be released Thursday, and the tournament will officially begin on Monday