Scunthorpe United v Buxton to be replayed after 96th-minute abandonment

Glanford Park
Scunthorpe United are second in National League North after suffering successive relegations

Scunthorpe and Buxton have been ordered to replay their National League North game, which was abandoned in the 96th minute after a torrential downpour.

Buxton were leading 2-1 on Saturday when play was halted, and had called on the league to award them the points.

Boss Craig Elliott said the 10 minutes of added time was in part due to interruptions caused by objects allegedly thrown at their goalkeeper.

A National League statement said the "fixture will be rescheduled in full".

The statement continued: "The matter was considered thoroughly, with the outcome decided in line with National League regulations and previous occurrences of this nature. A new date for the game will be announced by the clubs in due course."

The abandonment came on the hottest day of the year in the UK, with temperatures reaching 32.7C (91F) as part of the September heatwave.

'We hoped common sense would prevail'

Buxton manager Craig Elliott
Craig Elliott was appointed as Buxton manager in December 2022

The decision to replay the fixture has financial implications for Buxton, and their fans, who must now travel across country for a second time to fulfil their commitment.

To add to the Bucks' ire, the dismissal of Connor Brown will remain on his record, as will the ban, meaning he misses Saturday's FA Cup trip to Macclesfield.

"We expected a better outcome, we hoped common sense would hopefully prevail but it hasn't," boss Elliott told BBC Radio Derby. "I'm really disappointed for the players and the fans who paid their hard earned money to support us and for it not to be a result.

"Scunthorpe have got their own agenda, they're heavy favourites to go and win the league this year. I think they'll be relieved and really happy with the outcome.

"From our point of view we feel we've been hard done by, on social media the reaction to it is there's a lot of people thinking it's the wrong decision as well.

"What needs to happen is the rules have to change. It can't happen like that in the future, it doesn't seem fair at all. All in all it's been a really disappointing outcome, one I didn't expect to happen."Elliott confirmed that there have been thoughts regarding an appeal, but that no decision had yet been made to carry forward.

Buxton twice took the lead in the game despite the sending off of Brown just before half-time.

And goalkeeper Max Dearnley saved a penalty from United's Danny Elliott shortly before the referee decided play could not continue.

Scunthorpe are second in the sixth tier, two points behind leaders Tamworth, with Buxton in 13th place.