It only took one week to see a change atop the Sentinel Super 16 high school football rankings.
Despite missing the services of several defensive starters, Sanford Seminole replaces Jones High at the No. 1 spot after holding off visiting Rockledge 22-13 on Friday night.
The ‘Noles are currently without defensive back Juan Berchal and linebackers Ethan Pritchard and Jordyn Perkins, among others, due to injury.
No. 4 Edgewater also prevailed in Week 1 despite being short-handed on defense during its 24-19 rivalry win vs. Bishop Moore.
The Eagles were without Sentinel Super 60 players Josh Alexander-Felton (DL) and Damon Troutman (LB), who were suspended for an indefinite time period late last week for undisclosed reasons.
Alexander-Felton, an NC State commit, is No. 3 among area players in the Super 60. Troutman ranks No. 21.
Jones dropped to No. 2 after falling short 22-20 at home against defending state champion Cocoa.
Apopka remains at No. 3 following an unusual 2-0 win at No. 12 Ocoee. Lake Mary moves two spots to No. 5 after winning 76-60 vs. then-No. 16 Dr. Phillips.
The Super 16 consists of schools in Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake and southwest Volusia counties. Last week’s ranking and win-loss records are included in parentheses along with next scheduled games (pending weather conditions this week): .
Sentinel Super 16
1. (2) Seminole (1-0): Justin Rosado Jr. scored on a 30-yard punt return and acrobatic 6-yard reception as ‘Noles won 22-13 vs. Rockledge (0-1). Next: Friday vs. No. 9 Osceola (0-1).
2. (1) Jones (0-1): Tigers rallied from 16 down before losing 22-20 vs. Cocoa (1-0). James Chenault had 2 INTs and George Brown returned an INT for a score. Next: Friday at Our Lady of Good Counsel, MD (0-1).
3. Apopka (1-0): Antwone Robinson intercepted a pass and Blue Darters blocked a punt that resulted in a safety during 2-0 win at No. 12 Ocoee (0-1). Next: Friday vs. No. 8 West Orange (1-0).
4. Edgewater (1-0): Eagles extended Battle of College Park streak to five straight with 24-19 win vs. Bishop Moore (0-1). Kaden Shields-Dutton rushed for 2 TDs and Mylan Bowen forced a fumble. Next: Friday vs. Clearwater Academy International (0-1).
5. (7) Lake Mary (1-0): Noah Grubbs set school records for passing yards (528) and TDs (8) while completing 25 of 37 attempts with 2 INTs as Rams won 76-60 vs. then-No. 16 Dr. Phillips (0-1). Next: Sept. 8 vs. No. 13 Oviedo (1-0).
6. (10) Wekiva (1-0): Ty’Ray Davis led a second-half surge while passing for 156 yards and rushing for 100 yards with 3 total TDs as Mustangs won 24-21 at then-No. 9 Olympia (0-1). Next: Friday at No. 12 Ocoee (0-1).
7. (6) DeLand (0-1): Javon Ross intercepted a pass and scored kickoff (94 yards) and rushing (62 yards) TDs during 43-31 loss vs. Daytona Beach Mainland (1-0). MJ Smokes had 2 sacks. Next: Friday at Port St. Lucie Centennial (0-1).
8. (11) West Orange (1-0): Artavius Riley and Logan Hartman forced fumbles and Latorie Hollinger scored rushing and receiving TDs in a 41-6 win vs. Oak Ridge (0-1). Next: Friday at No. 3 Apopka (1-0).
9. (5) Osceola (0-1): Kowboys gave up TDs to host Port St. Lucie Treasure Coast (1-0) on back-to-back drives to start game before losing 22-8. Jeffrey Sinophat rushed for a TD. Next: Friday at No. 1 Seminole (1-0).
10. (9) Olympia (0-1): Romelo Walker intercepted a pass and Josh Walker recorded 10 receptions, including a 9-yard TD toss from Josh Gainous, during 24-21 loss vs. then-No. 10 Wekiva (1-0). Next: Friday at Oak Ridge (0-1).
11. (8) Lake Minneola (0-1): Braylon Knauth caught 8 passes for 93 yards and 2 TDs and Dane Thompkins rushed for 63 yards and one score in 46-27 loss vs. Bradenton Manatee (1-0). Next: Friday vs. Ocala Vanguard (1-0).
12. Ocoee (0-1): A bad snap on special teams resulted in 2-0 loss vs. No. 3 Apopka (1-0). Ezekiel Brinson forced and recovered a fumble for the Knights. Next: Friday vs. No. 6 Wekiva (1-0).
13. Oviedo (1-0): Jackson LaTour rushed for a score and completed 17-of-26 passes for 302 yards and 5 TDs while Kevin Watson went for 155 yards and 2 TDs on 19 carries during 60-47 win at Lake Brantley (0-1). Next: Friday vs. Orange City University (1-0).
14. Winter Park (1-0): Aaron Williams finished 20-of-25 passing for 244 yards and 2 total TDs for Wildcats in 30-6 win at Lake Nona (0-1). Zion Wolf had 4 catches for 114 yards and a TD. Next: Thursday at Brunswick, Ga. (1-0).
15. Boone (1-0): Braves won 31-13 at Timber Creek (0-1) as Will Buzyniski tallied 2 sacks and Luke Mottola had 7 tackles (4 solo), 1 sack and a forced fumble. Next: Friday at No. 16 Evans (1-0).
16. (NR) Evans (1-0): Chris Peterson passed for a TD and rushed 14 times for 186 yards and two scores in 45-36 win at Lyman (0-1). Jermaine Hardy scored twice on 15 carries for 108 yards. Next: Friday vs. No. 15 Boone (1-0).
Next in line: 17. Bishop Moore (0-1), 18. Eustis (1-0), 19. Leesburg (1-0), 20. Orange City University (1-0).