Rui Patricio ‘conscious and OK’ after head injury in collision during Wolves vs Liverpool

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Jack Rathborn
·1 min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
<p>Conor Coady watches on as Rui Patricio receives medical treatment</p> (Getty)

Conor Coady watches on as Rui Patricio receives medical treatment


Rui Patricio was stretchered off with a head injury during Wolves’ match against Liverpool following a horror clash with Conor Coady.

The Portuguese goalkeeper was later reported as "sitting up and conscious in the dressing room” following the game.

The 33-year-old raced out of goal to close down Mohamed Salah, who subsequently finished, before colliding with his teammate.

The offside flag was raised shortly after the impact, keeping the score at 1-0, with the Reds holding on throughout a lengthy period of added time.

The champions closed to within five points of the top four thanks to Diogo Jota’s goal on the stroke of half-time.

But the match was delayed for around seven minutes as the goalkeeper received treatment on the pitch, with Patricio eventually taken off after receiving extensive treatment and medical attention.

Read more:

  • How ‘fine margins’ – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s favourite phrase – explains Manchester United’s season

  • Wolves vs Liverpool prediction: How will Premier League fixture play out tonight?

  • Can I play golf under new lockdown rules?

  • Cheltenham Festival 2021 day one tips and best bets

Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo had already made all three substitutions during the game, meaning the currently trialled ‘concussion sub’ was brought into effect to see John Ruddy step in for the closing stages of the match.

The manager was thankfully able to clarify after full-time that Rui Patricio was “conscious” and was feeling “OK” despite the lengthy stoppage.

READ MORE: Wolves vs Liverpool: Five things we learned as Sadio Mane inspires Reds to victory

Klopp admitted the injury was a “proper shock” but added: “Diogo spoke to one of the staff and they’re rather positive.”