After a dinner presentation that featured pitches from several Houston Rockets legends, Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon reportedly pegged the Rockets' chances of landing prized free-agent center Dwight Howard at 85 percent. But with Howard pulling back to ponder his next move after similar pitches from the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Lakers, Houston general manager Daryl Morey is willing to go the extra mile to make up that remaining 15 percent:
— Daryl Morey (@dmorey) July 5, 2013
Whichever path Howard winds up choosing, let's make sure our post-decision analysis includes discussion of whether a little girl on a swing yelling "DWIGHT ... HOWARD ... THE ROCKETS!" wound up being a more effective sales pitch than Kobe Bryant saying he'll teach you to win. Right now, it feels kind of like a coin flip, but by the end of the day, we might (at what feels like pretty long last) have a much clearer picture.
Related coverage on Yahoo! Sports:
• Bobcats set to waive Tyrus Thomas
• Tyreke Evans headed to Pelicans in three-team deal
• Kyle Korver staying with Hawks for $24 million