Robert Swift arrested again in connection with home invasion attempt

Ball Don't Lie
Robert Swift with the NBDL's Bakersfield Jam in 2009. (Photo by Juan Ocampo/NBAE via Getty Images)
Robert Swift with the NBDL's Bakersfield Jam in 2009. (Photo by Juan Ocampo/NBAE via Getty Images)

The saga of ex-Seattle SuperSonics center Robert Swift continues to get sadder and more sordid. The 29-year-old Swift, the 12th-overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft straight out of high school, was arrested in mid-November for alleged possession of a sawed-off shotgun after authorities searched his room in the home of his friend, a suspected drug dealer. Swift admitted to being a heroin addict and was thought to have served as muscle for his friend and dealer. It was the latest incident in a series of unfortunate stories involving Swift, who crashed out of the NBA in late 2009 following several injuries.

Swift was arrested again Tuesday for another alleged crime. Amy Clancy of KIROTV.com has the story:

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

According to sources, the 7-foot-1 former NBA basketball player and 28-year-old Carlos Abraham Anderson of Everett put masks over their faces and attempted to rob a home in broad daylight. Witnesses notified the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

“I believe there were a couple of people who called in, they saw masked subjects on the property, reported that at least one of them was armed with a weapon, one possibly with a baseball bat,” Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Shari Ireton told KIRO 7. “It appeared they were either trying to make an entry or knocking on the door.”

Sources told KIRO 7 that Swift was armed with multiple weapons when he was taken into custody.

The 29-year-old Swift has already been charged in King County Superior Court for possessing an illegal sawed-off shotgun. The weapon was found – along with a cache of other weapons – in the home of his Kirkland roommate late last year.

When Swift failed to show up for his November 26th court appearance in Seattle, a warrant for his arrest was issued. Ireton confirmed that warrant was one of the reasons Swift was booked into the King County Jail in Seattle instead of the Snohomish County Jail in Everett.

Clancy adds that authorities are still searching the suspects' car in connection with the planned invasion. It is possible that Swift will see further charges if that search uncovers anything else, although that is just speculation at this point.

It is hard to imagine a sadder state of affairs for Swift. He refused to abandon and eventually left his foreclosed-upon, trashed home in February and March 2013, suggesting serious issues. November's arrest confirmed those fears. The fact that Swift failed to appear at his court date and has now been arrested yet again only adds to the impression that he needs serious help.

- - - - - - -

Eric Freeman is a writer for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at efreeman_ysports@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!

What to Read Next