Rivers, Chargers plan to wait on contract talks

Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is content to wait on talks of a new deal.

Rivers, who will turn 38 in December, will play in 2019 in the final year of a four-year, $83.25 million contract extension that pays him a base salary of $11 million and includes a no-trade clause.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport wrote Friday that both sides expect a deal will get done after the season for Rivers to remain with the Chargers after his 16th season with the club, although it would be intriguing if he and 42-year-old New England star Tom Brady each fully explored free agency this offseason when their deals expire.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

"I think when you get to this point, you do take it one year at a time," Rivers told NFL Network in training camp. "But I do expect to be playing here next year, that is the expectation. But when you're 37, you say, 'OK, let's focus on this year.' Then, 'Let's focus on next year.' Take them one at a time."

Rivers previously has indicated he wants to be with the Chargers when they move into the new stadium they will share with the Rams in Inglewood in 2020.

Rivers is coming off a 12-4 season that ended just short of the AFC title game with a playoff loss to the New England Patriots. He threw for 4,308 yards (ranking eighth in the NFL) with 32 touchdowns (tied for sixth) and 12 interceptions. He finished fifth in the league in passer rating (105.5) and ninth in completion percentage (68.3), while getting selected to the Pro Bowl for the eighth time.

He and general manager Tom Telesco have been on the same page throughout the offseason with their public comments about the quarterback's future with the Chargers.

"I haven't seen drop-off in Philip since I arrived here six years ago," Telesco said in January. "In the six years I've been here, he's even playing better now than when I first got here so I guess the sky's the limit."

--Field Level Media

What to Read Next