Reports: NFL didn't request video of Kareem Hunt incident until last week

Yahoo Sports

In the hours following TMZ’s release of the security footage from inside The Metropolitan at the 9, the Cleveland hotel where Kareem Hunt was involved in a physical altercation with a 19-year-old woman, shoving and kicking her, there was a report that the NFL told the Kansas City Chiefs not to pursue the video because the league was handling the investigation.

The assumption, of course, is that the league would request the video from The Metropolitan or the Cleveland Police.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

That apparently didn’t happen.

Reports: NFL didn’t request video until Friday

Multiple outlets are reporting that the NFL did not formally request video of a February incident involving Kareem Hunt until very recently. (AP)
Multiple outlets are reporting that the NFL did not formally request video of a February incident involving Kareem Hunt until very recently. (AP)

Via the Kansas City Star, USA Today and Wall Street Journal, the NFL didn’t formally request video of the Feb. 10 incident until Friday – the day TMZ published the video.

It is possible the league tried to go through back channels with law enforcement to get the security footage – every team employs a head of security, and they typically have extensive experience – but according to Cleveland Police public records, it did not make a formal ask until Nov. 30. The news organizations requested and received records related to the Hunt incident through Ohio open records law.

NFL vice president of communications Brian McCarthy told the Star, “We had multiple verbal conversations with Cleveland police officers and requested surveillance video immediately upon learning of the incident in February.

“In addition, NFL representatives also made requests for surveillance video to the hotel property. We also obtained and reviewed the material developed by the police, which included the written reports prepared by the officers who responded to the incident, and later the interviews that were recorded by body cams and the recordings of the 911 calls.”

Hunt said NFL did not reach out, second video surfaces

In an interview with ESPN on Sunday morning, Hunt said the NFL had not interviewed him nor had it reached out to interview him about the incident.

On Monday, there were reports of another altercation involving Hunt, this one from January. According to a police report, Hunt and former Chiefs running back George Atkinson were at a Kansas City nightclub when they were allegedly part of a group that attacked a 37-year-old man.

TMZ released a video on Tuesday that’s supposed to be from that night; it only shows Hunt being restrained.

The January incident is actually the third involving Hunt: in June, he allegedly punched a man at an Ohio resort after the two had a disagreement.

Subscribe to The Yahoo Sports NFL Podcast
Apple PodcastsStitcherGoogle Podcasts

More from Yahoo Sports:
Forde: Urban Meyer has one complicated, drama-filled legacy
Why a Knicks star called the NBA ‘scared little rats’
Where Urban Meyer’s accomplishments rank in CFB history
NFL Power Rankings: Don’t sleep on the Chargers

What to Read Next