On Tuesday afternoon, the Red Sox announced that they have reinstated pitcher Steven Wright from the restricted list.
The Red Sox desperately need help in the bullpen, as Matt Barnes, Brandon Workman and Ryan Brasier have all pitched significant innings. Wright appears ready for big league action, as he went 1-0 with a 1.86 ERA in five rehab appearances in Triple-A Pawtucket. In 2018, Wright recorded a 2.68 ERA in 20 appearances, which included a 24.2 scoreless inning streak.
Wright was suspended for 15 games last year for violating the league's domestic violence policy, and later suspended for 80 games for testing positive for human growth hormone. The knuckleballer recently said he was nervous to return to the Sox. President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski said Wright could be a "big addition."
To make room for Wright, Boston optioned reliever Josh Smith to Pawtucket and put starter Nathan Eovaldi on the 60-day injured list. Since Eovaldi (elbow) has already been out for two months, that move is strictly procedural and the Red Sox can bring him back whenever he's healthy.
As a team, the Red Sox have a 4.52 ERA, 17th in the majors, and have blown the third-most saves (15).