QB Boykin arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Former Seattle Seahawks backup quarterback Trevone Boykin was arrested Wednesday in Mansfield, Texas, on suspicion of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.

The arrest comes less than two days after Shabrika Bailey, Boykin's girlfriend, told WFAA-TV in Dallas that Boykin broke her jaw in two places and choked her until she passed out during a March 20 incident at her home in Mansfield.

Bailey told WFAA-TV the encounter happened after she refused to show Boykin a text message on her phone, and the resulting injuries left her hospitalized for three days and required her jaw to be wired shut.

"I remember him choking me and I'm trying to calm him down," she said. "And I just couldn't. And I blacked out. I just couldn't calm him down at all.

"The pressure was just hard. The pressure got hard to where I just remember just collapsing completely. And I just woke up in a puddle of blood on the kitchen floor. My whole right side was full of blood on the kitchen floor."

The Mansfield Police Department said in a statement they have video of the alleged assault from a surveillance system inside the house.

Boykin, who was released by the Seahawks on Tuesday after reports of the incident emerged, denied Bailey's accusations in a statement obtained by NFL Network on Tuesday: "I understand the Seahawks decision to release me. The story that was reported casts a bad light on the organization and on me. I want to be clear that the story is false.

"The police have taken statements from the accuser, another witness and me. All of these statements confirm that I was not involved in the physical altercation. This woman has lied about me and it has cost me my job. I know guilt by association is real. This person has fabricated a story and I am suffering the consequences. I will let the legal system run its course and I know I will be vindicated."

Bailey told WFAA that Boykin asked her not to tell police of the encounter because it could threaten his football career.

She also said Boykin made the same request after an incident in March 2017, when Bailey and Boykin were arrested after a car she was driving struck several pedestrians outside of a nightclub in a Dallas suburb. Bailey told WFAA that Boykin attacked her and choked her, causing her to lose control of the vehicle.

According to WFAA, Bailey and Boykin have been a relationship since high school.

Police said Boykin was arrested at his home without incident and that bond would be set at his arraignment.

--Field Level Media