PWHL Minnesota falls 2-1 to Montreal, suffering first regulation loss

The last and first time Montreal and Minnesota met in PWHL action, a record women's professional hockey record crowd of 13,316 jammed Xcel Energy Center to see the home team win 3-0.

Nearly three weeks later, the teams met again, this time as 5,001 fans watched Montreal win 2-1 with a late goal.

Tereza Vanisova's first goal this young season won it for Montreal at 13:54 in the third period,

It came after teammate Catherine Daoust dumped the puck down the ice from inside her own blue line.

It bounced off the end boards to the right of Minnesota goaltender Nicole Hensley, who came out of her net to play it but couldn't. Montreal's Maureen Murphy played the puck into the front of goal, and Vanisova cruised down the slot to put it in the open net.

Minnesota played more than the final minute with Hensley pulled from the net, but Montreal couldn't score into it.

Minnesota outshot Montreal 42-24, but Montreal goalie Elaine Chuli stopped all but one of the attempts.

The two teams entered the game — their first rematch against each other — with Minnesota's 12 points in its first five games putting it in first place. That was two points ahead of a second-place Montreal team.

Minnesota hadn't lost a game in regulation time. Its only loss was an overtime defeat.

Montreal's only loss in regulation time was that 3-0 defeat at Xcel Energy Center.

Former Minnesota Duluth center and Thunder Bay, Ontario's own Michela Cava tied the score for Minnesota 1-1 with her first goal this season, midway through the second period at 11:51.

She redirected teammate Sophia Kunin's angled shot from the left circle after it had bounced off goaltender Elaine Chuli, batting it from the right side back past Chuli.

The goal came just a minute after Montreal killed out Ann-Sophie Bettez's tripping penalty.

Not long after that, the home crowd held its collective breath when No. 1 overall draft pick Taylor Heise collided hard with a Montreal player right in front of the visitor's bench. Both players were down hard but got up and skated away late in the second period.