The princess, the eldest daughter of Prince Andrew, Duke of York, was set to marry her fiancé Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi on May 29. But she may now have to delay that date for the ceremony, after canceling the reception.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “Princess Beatrice and Mr. Mapelli Mozzi are very much looking forward to getting married but are equally aware of the need to avoid undertaking any unnecessary risks in the current circumstances.
“In line with government advice for the U.K. and beyond, the couple are reviewing their arrangements for 29th May. They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people.
“Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place. The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends.”
The statement comes after a friend told the Daily Telegraph: "There won't be a reception. The wedding may be just them and a chaplain. It all depends on what happens over the next few weeks but there will be no big gathering."
Beatrice and her fiancé intended to use the marquees and portaloos in the palace gardens, which are erected each year for the garden parties, for the reception of their wedding.
But the palace had to cancel this summer’s parties amid the ongoing pandemic.
The couple had already been hit with problems in their wedding planning as Mozzi’s family is from the region in Northern Italy which was badly hit by the coronavirus outbreak.
It was understood the 36-year-old, who has lived in the U.K. most of his life, only has distant relatives in the region.
The royals were planning a much smaller affair than their recent predecessors, getting married in the Chapel Royal, with about 150 guests.
Buckingham Palace has previously said the royal family is following government advice on dealing with coronavirus.
The queen is to go to Windsor for Easter Court a week early and will leave the capital on Thursday.
She held audiences on Wednesday in Buckingham Palace but did not shake hands. Several of her planned engagements have been postponed.
She, her son Prince Charles and his wife Camilla are all in the high-risk category set by the government. Following government advice means they would be carrying out fewer public engagements, and only making essential trips outside.
For the latest news on the evolving coronavirus outbreak, follow along here. According to experts, people over 60 and those who are immunocompromised continue to be the most at risk. If you have questions, please reference the CDC and WHO’s resource guides.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle
Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle's newsletter.