Police turn Trevor Bauer case over to prosecutors to decide on possible charges

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The Pasadena Police Department has turned over the Trevor Bauer case to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, leaving prosecutors to decide whether the Dodgers pitcher should be charged with a crime after an “extensive investigation” by police.

Pasadena Police Lt. Carolyn Gordon confirmed the development Friday to USA TODAY Sports but declined to say whether the police recommended any charges against Bauer.

“On Friday, Aug. 27, 2021, the Pasadena Police Department, after an extensive investigation, presented the Trevor Bauer case to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office for review,” Gordon said. “We have no further comment.”

The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office declined to answer a question about the timeline for a decision on charges.

"A case was presented today and is under review," a spokesman for the District Attorney's Office said in an e-mail.

Bauer, 30, had been under police investigation since May, when a San Diego woman he met on Instagram said he assaulted her during sex.

She said they met on two occasions at his home in Pasadena April and May and that he choked her unconscious both times. On the second occasion, she also said he punched her face and vagina, leading her to go to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with an acute head injury and assault by strangulation, according to court records. His representatives said their relations were consensual and that the woman asked for rough sex, including being choked and slapped.

The woman sought a restraining order against Bauer in late June, but that order was rescinded last week when a Los Angeles judge declined the woman’s request for a five-year extension. The judge ruled in Bauer’s favor, saying there was no supporting evidence that Bauer was likely to cause the accuser harm or even contact her again.

Bauer, who signed a three-year $102 million contract before the season, has been on paid administrative leave since July 2. Major League Baseball and the players' union agreed this week to extend that leave until Sept. 3.

Follow reporter Brent Schrotenboer @Schrotenboer. E-mail: bschrotenb@usatoday.com

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Trevor Bauer case: Police hand off to prosecutors to decide on charges