Plumas Lake man pleads not guilty to murder in alleged DUI, fatal hit-and-run

Feb. 29—Larry Lee Anderson Jr., 50, of Plumas Lake pleaded not guilty to second degree murder on Thursday in a Yuba County courtroom after being arrested for an alleged DUI near Olivehurst that resulted in the death of a Lindhurst High School football coach.

Anderson was arrested on Monday on charges that include second degree murder, gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, hit-and-run causing injury, and felony DUI causing injury.

An accident report from the California Highway Patrol stated that at about 7:57 p.m. on Monday night, officials said a four-vehicle crash took place on Feather River Boulevard north of Murphy Road that resulted in a fatality. Once on the scene, officials determined that a hit-and-run collision had occurred.

Prior to the collision, a black BMW driven by 35-year-old Ryan Jackson of Olivehurst was traveling southbound on Feather River Boulevard, north of Murphy Road, at a slow speed, the report stated. A white Nissan Altima driven by 29-year-old Vicki Lee of Modesto was directly behind the BMW with its four-way flashers activated, with both vehicles traveling at a slow rate of speed.

As the two vehicles were traveling together southbound on Feather River Boulevard, a gray Honda CRV driven by 34-year-old Shane Bunn of Marysville was traveling southbound in the northbound lane at an unknown speed, but faster than the BMW and Nissan, as he was passing both vehicles over broken yellow lines, the CHP said.

According to the accident report, at around the same time Anderson was driving a black Toyota Corolla southbound on Feather River Boulevard north of Murphy Road behind all three vehicles at a high rate of speed.

"Anderson attempted to pass all three vehicles by passing in between the CRV and Altima," the report stated. "The Corolla side-swiped the Altima and the BMW. The Corolla rear ended the CRV and propelled it to the left and down a ditch embankment where it collided with a concrete block culvert."

Bunn, a Lindhurst High School 2008 graduate and assistant football coach, was pronounced dead by the Linda Fire Department, the Appeal previously reported. According to the Yuba County District Attorney's Office, Anderson allegedly fled the scene and was arrested nearly four hours later less than a mile west of the crash scene.

At the time of the collision, Anderson was out on his own recognizance for a misdemeanor DUI on Jan. 24 where he allegedly drove with a blood alcohol content of 0.23, according to the District Attorney's Office. He was scheduled to appear in the Yuba County Superior Court for arraignment on March 5, but in light of the new charges, Anderson's arraignments were consolidated on Thursday.

During Thursday's hearing, Senior Deputy District Attorney Monique McDevitt said that Anderson has four prior DUIs dating back to 1994.

"He continued to drink alcohol even at that level and continued to drive. (Anderson) put everybody's life in danger. Given that this would be his now sixth DUI in his history, we have great concern. The fact that he was just arrested and released on a high (blood alcohol content) DUI shows that the only means of securing safety for the public is his incarceration. He has shown that he cannot conform out in society, and we definitely don't want to have another fatality in our community," McDevitt said.

The court ordered that Anderson be held in custody without bail. Anderson's next court date is scheduled at the Yuba County Superior Court at 9 a.m. on March 13.