You may hate VAR, but you can’t hate the hilarity it delivered Sunday in Spain’s second division.
Fuenlabrada midfielder Cristóbal Márquez was sent off twice in the span of a few minutes midway through the second half. How is that possible? Watch for yourself:
Do we cry or laugh or both at this?
Cristobal got sent off with a direct red. VAR overturns it, they have to go get him from the dressingroom.
He comes back out, goes head to head with Stuani, gets his second yellow and sent off again 😂
— Alexandra Jonson (@AlexandraJonson) February 2, 2020
Here’s what happened, in sequence:
– Márquez gets a straight red card for a challenge against Girona’s Álex Granell
– Márquez leaves the pitch
– VAR rules the challenge only deserves a yellow card
– Márquez returns
– Granell gets in Márquez’s face
– The referee shows both men yellow cards for the incident
– Márquez is sent right back off
Soccer can get pretty zany at times, but the likelihood of seeing something like that again anytime soon is ... well, not clear and obvious.
Girona won 1-0 thanks to Cristhian Stuani’s goal in the 18th minute.
More from Yahoo Sports