Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from the NHL and around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit for the PHT Morning Skate? Email us at email@example.com.
• Even in Toronto, you can’t get away from Gritty.
• “The players arrived at the rink wearing masks. During TV timeouts, the ice crew wore gloves and masks. Between periods, a cleaning crew sterilized the bench areas wearing masks, gloves and medical gowns. Between games, it sterilized everything again — benches, penalty boxes, locker rooms. Not only did it replace the water bottles, it replaced the water bottle holders.” [NHL.com]
• “While disorienting to see ribbons of blue and silver tarp covering the empty lower bowl at Scotiabank Arena for a Toronto-Montreal game, no fans meant perfect sight lines for an ice level close-up cameras, one of the many elements this COVID-19 coverage allows the NHL.” [Toronto Sun]
• Interesting read on watching NHL hockey in an empty rink. [Sportsnet]
• Good read on what life is like for NHL referees inside the bubble. [Sports Illustrated]
• It’s a weird postseason for everyone. How are coaches handling navigating this unique situation? [The Score]
• David Pastrnak on his time in quarantine: “Obviously, it was a tough bounce there and unfortunately what happened, happened, and I had to miss some time. Obviously, the protocol is to stay in quarantine, so unfortunately, I had to be locked down at home for a while. It’s nothing I can control. Obviously, I take full responsibility for my actions.” [NHL.com]
• Looking at the good, bad and ugly of John Chayka’s time in Arizona. [TSN]
• Lena Schroeder, the lone female hockey player at the PyeongChang Paralympics, has unfinished business from what happened in South Korea. But she has a new priority now, one that may hinder her chances of returning to the Winter Games. [Olympic Talk]
• Professional designers give their throughts on the Seattle Kraken’s brand identity. [Hockey by Design]
• The SPHL is targeting a start to their 2020-21 season in mid-to-late December. [SPHL]
PHT Morning Skate: Return to Play reaction; reviewing Chayka originally appeared on NBCSports.com