Phoenix men fall to No. 17 Georgetown 90-63

Jan. 24—GEORGETOWN, Ky. — Cumberland's men dropped their second straight Mid-South Conference match last Saturday, suffering a 90-63 loss at No. 17 Georgetown.

The game-changer in this matchup was undoubtedly the rebounding battle in which Cumberland was outperformed. The Tigers dominated the boards with a total of 52, utilizing their size advantage to limit the Phoenix to 21.

The Phoenix shot 35.5% from the field and connected on 7 of 25 attempts from behind the arc. Demarius Boyd led Cumberland's offense, grabbing 21 points and five boards. Jaheim Berry made an impact off the bench, totaling 12 points, including three of CU's seven 3s.

Georgetown counted nine triples while shooting 49.3% from the field. Their campaign saw 10 shooters in the points category with Jabrion Spikes going for a game-high 22 points.

The Tigers came out swinging, executing on their first possession of the game and building a 10-point lead in less than five minutes. Spikes pulled off a four-point play, nailing a shot from behind the arc with contact from Boyd for a convincing 12-point difference. Almost immediately, the Tigers were met with another and-one opportunity that kicked off a 12-0 run.

Kamarie Coffey injected energy into a quiet three minutes for the Phoenix, breaking the silence with the team's first 3-pointer of the afternoon. Coffey immediately forced a steal and finished with a layup on the next play, breathing life into the Phoenix with a much-needed run. Boyd responded well to Cumberland's newfound momentum, drilling one from the top of the key and following it up with an eight-foot jumper to bring the score within 14 points.

The Tigers reclaimed control at the eight-minute mark, heading on a 10-2 run that widened the gap to a 24-point difference. With three minutes remaining in the half, Tristan Conger cruised past his defender for a layup, kicking a small run for the Phoenix. Cockrill trimmed the difference to 17 points, draining a shot from the wing with just over two minutes left to go.

The final moments of the half favored Georgetown as the Tigers scored on back-to-back steals to head into the break with a 21-point lead.

The second half played out in a similar fashion with Georgetown maintaining a lead of no less than 20 points. The Tigers continued to dominate the glass, capitalizing on their ability to create possessions and second-chance opportunities.

The Phoenix finished out the last few minutes on a 14-2 run, but ultimately suffered a 90-63 loss.

Cumberland will have exactly one week to recover from this competitive weekend before heading on the road to Lindsey Wilson.

The Phoenix will face the Blue Raiders on Saturday, scheduled for a 3 p.m. tipoff in Columbia, Ky.