Tiger Woods' foundation announces he is 'awake, responsive and recovering' after car crash

Tiger Woods’ team released a statement late Tuesday night saying he is “awake, responsive and recovering” in the hospital after he was involved in a car crash in Southern California.

Woods’ car crashed just south of Los Angeles just before 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning in a single-vehicle accident. He was removed from the vehicle by first responders and taken to the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where he underwent surgery.

“We thank everyone for the overwhelming support and messages during this tough time,” Woods foundation said in a statement. “As previously communicated, Tiger was involved in a single-car accident earlier this morning in California. He has undergone a long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle after being brought to the hospital.

“He is currently awake, responsive and recovering in his hospital room. Thank you to the wonderful doctors and hospital staff at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and the fire department. Your support and assistance has been outstanding.

“There are no further updates at this time and we continue to thank you for your well-wishes and privacy for him and his family."

Specific details about Woods' recovery or how long he will be in the hospital are not yet known.

Hospital's Chief Medical Officer addresses injury specifics

Anish Mahajan, the Chief Medical Officer and interim CEO at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, offered a detailed explanation of Woods’ injuries in the statement.

Woods underwent a “long surgical procedure” on his right leg and ankle, where he suffered compound fractures and needed a rod, screws and pins inserted in various places.

“Mr. Woods suffered significant orthopedic injuries to his right lower extremity that were treated during emergency surgery by orthopedic trauma specialists at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, a level 1 trauma center,” Mahajan said. “Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.”

Tiger Woods' crashed car in Southern California on Feb. 23, 2021
The vehicle that Tiger Woods was driving on Tuesday morning just south of Los Angeles. (AP/Ringo H.W. Chiu)

Tiger Woods fortunate ‘to come out of this alive’

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said there was “no evidence of impairment” when officials observed Woods at the scene Tuesday. They didn’t see any signs that he was under the influence of narcotics or pain medicine, and did not smell alcohol on his breath.

Though the specific cause of the crash is not yet known, officers are concerned that Woods may have been speeding down the hill on a steep, curvy section of the road. His vehicle struck the median, crossed over into the oncoming lane of traffic and rolled several times before coming to a stop.

That stretch of road is a “hot spot for traffic collisions.”

“[Tiger Woods] is very fortunate … to come out of this alive,” said Deputy Carlos Gonzalez, who arrived on the scene.

Woods had been in Los Angeles for the Genesis Invitational last week, an event that he hosts at the Riviera Country Club. He did not play, as he is still recovering from back surgery, though Woods did play with various celebrities as part of a Golf Digest and GOLFTV project in the area. He played a round with former Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, comedian David Spade and actress Jada Pinkett Smith on Monday, Golf Digest said in a statement.

More from Yahoo Sports: