Advertisement

Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Wyndham Clark declared winner after final round abandoned

A damaged television tower and course signage blown over
Television towers were damaged and course signage blown over in strong winds on Sunday, with the course closed to all volunteers and spectators

The final round of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am in California was abandoned because of bad weather and safety concerns, with 54-hole leader Wyndham Clark declared the winner.

The round had already been moved to Monday due to strong winds and rain.

Conditions were forecast to improve but officials decided to abandon the event out of an "abundance of caution" after talks with emergency authorities.

US Open champion Clark held a one-shot lead after three rounds on 17 under.

The American shot a course-record 12-under-par 60 on Saturday to lead from Sweden's Ludvig Aberg, with France's Matthieu Pavon two shots further back.

"It's pretty surreal right now. It's maybe not the way you dream of winning," Clark, 30, said.

"With that said, a lot of us yesterday had - not that we knew - but we definitely had this outside shot and [were] thinking that maybe this is our last round."