Amidst a handful of players who determined they will sit out the 2020 Major League Baseball season, Orioles general manager Mike Elias expects full participation from the Orioles - at least for now.
On a conference call with reporters Monday evening, Elias said he expects the Orioles to be at full strength entering Summer Camp.
"We recognize that this will be fluid and everyone is having to make personal decisions and circumstances might not be fully understood until the season starts," Elias said. "But so far, we are expecting full participation. But you see in the news around the league that that's not the case everywhere. I wouldn't be shocked if that ends up happening. But that's going to be a part of this."
"I have a 3-week-old baby," Zimmerman told the Associated Press before his decision came down. "My mother has multiple sclerosis and is super high-risk; if I end up playing, I can pretty much throw out the idea of seeing her until weeks after the season is over."
Elias said anyone that is high risk and elects to opt out of the season will earn service time and be paid, as MLB rules state. If a player isn't high risk, neither salary nor service time will accrue.
He added that while there was an incident with an international player earlier this offseason who showed symptoms of COVID-19, he never officially tested positive. Elias expects that to change when the season begins.
The Orioles added 44 players to their 60-man player pool Sunday, leaving 16 slots open for potential additions moving forward.
Stay connected to the Orioles with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.
MORE ORIOLES NEWS:
- 60 games: What it means for Orioles
- Tough Road: Orioles have strong opponents
- Win totals: Where O's stand