Oregon State radio announcer Mike Parker assaulted in Indianapolis before calling team's win

Lawrence Andrea, Indianapolis Star
·2 min read

Hours before calling Oregon State’s Sweet 16 win against Loyola Chicago on Saturday, Mike Parker nearly got wet.

The Beavers’ play-by-play radio announcer told The Oregonian that he was taking a stroll on the Indianapolis Canal Walk about 11:30 a.m. when he was approached by a man who insisted on seeing what was in his work bag.

“He just kept pressing me," Parker said in an interview with KOIN News, Portland's CBS affiliate. "He kept saying ‘I need to see what’s in your bag.’ And I knew I was dealing with a somewhat troubled person.”

After assuring the man he didn't have anything suspicious in his bag — the man asked if Parker had a bomb — Parker kept walking.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

"And moments later, I’m tackled to the ground on the north side (or) east side of the beautiful canal walk with people all over in a gorgeous area of the canal walk," Parker said.

He "landed hard" on his right side, ripped the elbow of his shirt and sustained "a couple of abrasions," Parker said. His left shoe came off and books spilled out of his bag — "that proved that there was nothing bad in the bag to the guy," he joked.

“I almost rolled into the canal because it was very close to the water when he threw me down," Parker added.

Police patrolling the area on bicycles responded quickly, Parker said, taking his statement and pulling the man, whom he described as being in his mid-20s, to the side.

Parker told police he was fine and didn't "want to do anything more with this," he said in the interview. He had to get to Bankers Life Fieldhouse, where he would call the Beavers' "glorious" 65-58 win against Loyola Chicago.

“That took away any residue or remnants of pain I might have been feeling from the attack at 11:30," he said.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officials on Monday said a police report was not made because Parker "emphatically did not want anything done on this incident.”

IMPD Lt. Shane Foley noted the bicycle officers were able to respond to the situation within seconds and said police identified the man who reportedly attacked Parker, allowing them to follow up if Parker chose to make a report later on.

Shortly after Parker walked away, the other man was free to go, too.

Oregon State makes its Elite Eight appearance against Houston at 7:15 p.m. ET Monday.

This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: March Madness: Oregon State announcer says he was assaulted