December 20, 2010
Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
• It's the NHL on "The Price Is Right!" Jeremy Roenick(notes), in his Chicago Blackhawks sweater, introduces Alex Ovechkin(notes) and Sidney Crosby(notes) via satellite, on tape and nowhere near each other. Favorite Moment No. 1: At around 55 seconds in, when our contestant realizes she's bidding for a trip to Pittsburgh in January. Favorite Moment No. 2: When she realizes she's also getting a rental car in Pittsburgh in January. By the way: When Semin called Crosby "dead wood," we're guessing he meant the way Sid reads ad copy. [Best Week Ever]
Preview: Atlanta Thrashers at Toronto Maple Leafs, 7 p.m. ET. The Thrash can move back into first place in the Southeast with a victory. The five former Blackhawks on Atlanta (including associate coach John Torchetti) made a visit to the Hockey Hall of Fame to see their names on the Stanley Cup for the first time. Miraculously, they nailed "Byfuglien" in the first engraving.
Preview: Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues, 8:00 p.m. ET. The big news out of St. Louis is the torching given to the team by former Blue and current broadcaster Kelly Chase, who killed the team on the radio for failing to make Joe Thornton(notes) answer for knocking David Perron(notes) out of the lineup for a since-suspended hit. Said Chase: "I'm sure (Blues coach Davis Payne) said, 'Hey, we still gotta think about the two points. ... That message means the coach is covering his rear end saying, 'Listen, we'll kill off the good penalties and don't take bad ones. Don't go do something stupid.' But at the end of the day, I'm not looking for Thornton to be grabbed and beaten. I'm talking about a guy just confronting him so that the kid (Perron) sitting watching the game with a concussion knows, hey, you got his back, and also the rest of the team responds and goes, we're going to rally around that. That's what I'm talking about. That's how you play the game."
Preview: Anaheim Ducks at Boston Bruins, 7:30 p.m. ET. The Ducks enter this one having lost back to back games to the Islanders and the Hurricanes. Lucic is ready for a showdown: "I think they're eighth in the West. We're eighth in the East and we have a chance to move up here in the standing and be tied with Montreal to be first in the division. ... So we know it's a big game for us and we want to end things off the right way going into the Christmas break."Check out previews and updated scores for all of today's games on the Y! Sports NHL scores and scheds page. For tonight's starting goalies, check out Left Wing Lock.
• Marco Sturm(notes) will make his debut for the Los Angeles Kings against the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday night with Trevor Lewis(notes) at center and Alexei Ponikarovsky(notes) on the right side. [Fabulous Forum]
• Elliotte Friedman on the Montreal Canadiens and PK Subban(notes): "I also get the feeling Martin and the Habs organization really are uncertain about how to handle Subban. By sitting him already, the Canadiens basically have no other options with a player who has nothing to learn at the AHL level. The best way to improve him is in practice, and the schedule doesn't allow for a lot of practice time." [CBC Sports]
• The National Hockey League announced today that Islanders forward Matt Martin has been assessed a two-game suspension for his hit on Phoenix Coyote forward Vernon Fiddler(notes) in the first period of Saturday's game. [Islanders]
• The American Hockey League today announced that Connecticut Whale right wing Mats "Hobbit Wizard" Zuccarello has been suspended for one (1) game as a result of his actions in a game vs. Worcester on Dec. 17. Zuccarello was suspended under the provisions of AHL Rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline). [AHL]
• Alex Ovechkin is memorable, according to SI. [Capitals Insider]
• On behalf of Yahoo! Sports, we thank you. [SBD]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: From Richard on the NHL 94/Kamloops Blazers post:
This is making me want to pull out my working Sega Genesis and fire this old game up. I used to rule the ice with, of all people, Alexander Semak from the Devils.
Bold Prediction: Staal outscores Stamkos in the Canes/Bolts game.