January 11, 2010
Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Preview: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings, 10:30 p.m. EST. A bit of ye olde slump for the Kings, who are 4-6 in their last 10 and 0-2 on their home stand. Luckily, the Pacific Division leading Sharks are in town, and they're in a 1-3-1 funk against the Kings. Rudy Kelly offers thoughts on some big lineup changes for the Kings, including a Frolov-Kopitar team-up that Battle of California isn't chipper about. Watch The Game Live Via Hockey Night on Y!
Preview: Colorado Avalanche at Calgary Flames, 10 p.m. EST. Yet another first-place game in the Northwest Division, as the Avs, Flames and Canucks all cluster near the top. Adrian Dater notes that Paul Stastny(notes) hasn't scored a goal since Dec. 22, which includes his announcement as an Olympian. Pressure much? Meanwhile, Jarome Iginla(notes) has given Jamie Lundmark has a new nickname: "The Closer." Dude looks nothing like Kyra Sedgwick.
Check out previews and updated scores for all of today's games (like the ones in progress) on the Y! Sports NHL scores and scheds page.
• New Jersey Devils winger Jamie Langenbrunner(notes) has been named Team USA captain, with Dustin Brown(notes), Zach Parise(notes), Brian Rafalski(notes) and Ryan Suter(notes) earning the ‘A's.' More about this on Tuesday morning. [USA Hockey]
• From the NHL: "Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Ed Jovanovski(notes) has been suspended for two games, without pay, for elbowing New York Islanders center John Tavares(notes) in NHL game #669 on Jan. 9. Jovanovski, who was suspended for two games on Dec. 9, 2009, now is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Accordingly, he forfeits $158,536.59 in salary based on the number of games (82) in a season, rather than the number of days (193). The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund. At 19:43 of the first period, Jovanovski delivered an elbow to Tavares' head area and was assessed a major penalty for elbowing and a game misconduct." Here's the hit ... thoughts?
• Razor on the NHL's "potty mouth memo," and reaction to it across the League. Comedy. Gold. [Razor With An Edge]
• NHL on NBC scheduling news. [Kukla]
• Congrats to Japers for being named the best NHL blog by Sports Media Challenge and to all the SBN blogs on the list, which considers us like Nickelback to their Yo La Tengo. [Japers' Rink]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: Puck Buddy Jackie with words of wisdom for Vancouver fans:
"Green laser pointers are nothing to mess with. I, along with many of my nerdy astronomer friends, have one. Extreme care is always taken when a laser pointer is being used in a group situation. There's nothing funny about this whole incident. Major eye damage can occur. I've been told in Australia, you have to have a permit to even own one. This is a scary thing--especially if copy cats occur. Fans at games need to be vigilant and turn in anyone stupid enough to try this trick."
OK, we posted this just for the Australia bit. Can't be true, can it?
Bold Prediction: Todd Richards defeats Dan Bylsma in Minnesota.