September 18, 2008
Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• You may have heard that St. Louis Blues defenseman Erik Johnson will miss the first three days of camp with a knee injury suffered during "a non-hockey related incident." Brad Lee reports the details of that incident: Johnson wrenched his knee attempting to put the brake down on a golf cart. Jeez. You'd figure a Blues player would be more familiar with the workings of golf equipment. [St. Louis Game Time]
• Paul from The NHL Arena Program brings a very fresh take to the current economic mess: Are NHL arena naming rights in trouble? If it means the end of the Jobing.com arena, let's hope so. [NHL Arena Program]
• Mainstream media headline of the day: "Don't worry, 'Nucks won't suck." [Sun Media]
• Great video find by Leahy, featuring Nelson Emerson of the Winnipeg Jets completely jobbing the Chicago Blackhawks and Ed Belfour. "Emerson catches Ed Belfour's clearance with a closed glove (a penalty) and proceeds to take a few strides and throw the puck at the net, which apparently didn't even cross the line and it's call a goal...even after a video review." [Going Five Hole]
• From The Sportsman's Daily satire site: "NHL set to go entire season without being discussed on sports radio." Actually, that's something to hope for, considering the only time sports radio talks hockey is when someone like Chris Simon or Chris Pronger decides to get creative. [Spin on Sports]
• According to Salavat Yulaeva Ufa's General Manager Oleg Gross, Alexander Radulov has told him that "he'll never go back to the NHL." What's the Russian word for a load of crap? Well, it's arbitration time anyway. [Slap Shot]
• Speaking of Washington: Git yer Caps license plates, Maryland and Virginia. [Capitals]
• And speaking of Ottawa, new coach Craig Hartsburg has "ushered in what his charges are calling a new era of discipline and intensity." So yeah, it's a good thing Ray Emery went to Russia ... [Globe & Mail]
• Finally, the Blackhawks were back kissing the Chicago Cubs' collective ass today after giving the White Sox so much love last week. Is Jonathan Toews tossing a splitter here? Nice slacks, suit.