December 15, 2008
Here are your Evening Puck Headlines and Previews: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Horrific story out of an Ontario Senior hockey league: Don Sanderson, 21, struck his head on the ice during a fight for the Whitby Dunlops, and the team reported he was in a coma as of this morning. The team is offering updates on its Web site front page. Cue the soap-boxing after this tragedy, from Ken Campbell and from Jamie Fitzpatrick: "In the NHL, where fighting is much more common, many players refuse to correctly strap on their helmets, and there are no rules against removing your helmet to fight, the prospect of an on-ice death from a fight seems almost inevitable." And no, the irony isn't lost on us that a guy in a coma after a hockey fight played for the Dunlops. [CBC Sports]
• Mats Sundin's agent says it's down to the Vancouver Canucks and the New York Rangers for his client's services. So based on his months of coyness and dillydallying, congratulations to the New York Rangers on their new center. [ESPN]
Preview: Colorado Avalanche at Detroit Red Wings (7 p.m. EST; TV: VS). Puck the Media argues that this isn't a rivalry any longer, citing the Avs' lack of success and last year's anti-climactic playoff series. But while The Chief is clearly still hung up on Penguins fans on A2Y, as long as Colorado is known as the Dive among Wings fans, it's a rivalry.
• Marian Gaborik could be back in the lineup for the Minnesota Wild for Wednesday's game against the Calgary Flames at the Xcel Energy Center. Can't wait to hear that reaction from the fans. [Pioneer Press]
• Oh, and The Pensblog will gut you if you pronounce it "Con-sole." It's "Con-saul," evidently. Or just use its alternate name: "The 7.5 Million of Funding Annually from Elderly Women Pulling Levers to Get Three Cherries in a Row" Center. [Pensblog]
Preview: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles King (10:30 p.m. EST; TV: FSW, Yahoo! Sports). No Joe Pavelski or Jonathan Cheechoo tonight for the Sharks, as they face the Kings and goalie Erik Ersberg. The Sharks' top line has 101 points this season combined. That's just sick.
• Meanwhile, the Sharks are beginning a major push to get their guys back in the all-star game mix. [Sharks]
• The Kings are debuting a new interactive postgame talk show on their Web site called Face Wash. True story: Face Wash was in contention for the name of this blog, but was vetoed because there was concern people would think it was about Noxzema products. [Kings]
• One of the "bachelors" on the new NBC/Ryan Seacrest dating show "Momma's Boys" is Jojo, a 21-year-old hockey player who "has a mother who kisses his photograph and raves about his body and his lips." Uh ... gross? [Boston Globe]
• Tyler Ruegsegger is a forward at the University of Denver and a prospect for the Toronto Maple Leafs, who drafted him in the sixth round in 2006. He's also the guy who makes this obscene pass toe teammate Joe Colborne against Minnesota State last Friday. Wow. [Two-Line Pass]