October 05, 2011
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
Click here if you want to see the Full Ryan Kesler(notes) from the ESPN Body Issue, with the warning that it is somewhat NSFW and will make you feel horrible about that third slice of pizza last night. Harrison has more on the Vancouver Canucks bare-bottomed star on Pass It To Bulis, including the expected Photoshop whimsy.
• The Phoenix Coyotes signed Paul Bissonnette(notes) to a two-year contract extension. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed, although it's believe to be the first contract with a "panty soup" bonus clause. [Coyotes]
The NBA's loss is the San Jose Sharks' gain according to one new fan: "But with the NBA canceling their preseason and less than a week from scrapping the first two weeks of the regular season, I'm thinking it may be time to finally throw myself 100% into learning about hockey and the Sharks." [SB Nation]
• Sean Avery(notes) clears waivers for the New York Rangers, which is sort of expected when 29 other teams hate your guts (OK, 30 if you count John Tortorella). Now it's the AHL or a job overseas for Avery. [Blueshirt Banter]
• Avery has left the Rangers and returned back to NYC to drown his sorrows in designer pillows and Apple-tinis. [ESPN NY]
• The New Jersey Devils name Zach Parise(notes) captain, thereby cementing him in the team's long-term plans because no one ever trades a guy they name captain. Except for Jamie Langenbrunner(notes) and the Devils. And Ilya Kovalchuk(notes) and the Thrashers. And … [Star Ledger]
• EA Sports' simulation of the 2011-12 NHL season picks the Canucks for the Presidents' Trophy, Ovechkin for the Hart and the Pittsburgh Penguins over Vancouver Chicago for the Stanley Cup — with Sidney Crosby(notes). [EA Sports]
• Bill Metzer with a really offbeat story about Sakic and Forsberg. No, the other Sakic and Forsberg. [NHL.com]
• Good to see the Buffalo Sabres are keeping things in perspective this season: "The Buffalo Sabres are encouraging fans to volunteer for an organized video shoot on Washington Street, outside of First Niagara Center on Monday, October 10 at 2:45 p.m. Washington Street will be closed to traffic between Scott Street and Perry Street at that time and fans can assemble at that location. The fans participating will march in a group down Washington Street towards the arena. The march, and participating fans, will be videotaped and the footage will be utilized for a Sabres video to be shown during a Sabres game at a later date."
• Do the Boston Bruins have two No. 1 goalies? [ESPN Boston]
• The top 10 players who might be looking at the ends of their careers this season. Spoiler: There's a Red Wing at No. 1. [THN]
• After not playing together as a unit in the preseason, it appears the Washington Capitals' top line will end up being Alex Ovechkin(notes) with Nicklas Backstrom(notes) and Mike Knuble(notes) at the start. How did OB1-Knuble never catch on for this trio? [Capitals Insider]
• My ugly mug and stupid voice on the Life in Hockeywood podcast. [LiH]
• Finally, last year Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun said he would eat his column with sauerkraut, sour cream and bitter lemon at center ice if the Edmonton Oilers finished last in 2010-11. They did. And he's a man of his words. Well, at least until they pass through his digestive tract.