September 21, 2010
The source stressed that there are many unknowns at this point. "It's not a good situation," the source said. "It's complex. Not sure how this will play out."
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli announced on the first day of training camp last week that the star forward has been experiencing post-concussion symptoms and would not participate in camp until he was medically cleared. Savard is with the team and is being treated.
Again: The ESPN source is saying "could." Not "will." Not "certain to." Considering that Paul Kariya(notes) said he's taking a season off to shake off his post-concussion symptoms, it's not completely outlandish to believe the same fate could befall another concussed player.
But Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli smacked back at the report on Tuesday evening via Boston's website:
"As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome. He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate.
"Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc's status, I will issue an update."
At the Bruins Town Hall Meeting on Tuesday night, Stanley Cup of Chowder reports Chiarelli said Savard will be back "soon," which is more declarative than anything in the statement above. He also called out "new media" and "blogs" for their coverage of Savard trade rumors. Not sure which one of those Sportsnet fits under.