The 2020 NFL Draft reportedly no longer will be held in Las Vegas.
The league currently plans on holding the draft in a TV studio while cutting into live looks of the teams making decisions, the Los Angeles Times' Sam Farmer reported Saturday, citing two individuals with knowledge of the discussions.
"Planning for the Draft is a good example of how we need to think differently, embrace technology and collaborate," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told league employees in a memo obtained by The Times. "We will also use the Draft to help support fans and those people impacted in our communities."
The NFL announced earlier this week that it would conduct the draft as scheduled in Las Vegas, but without any of the corresponding events due to the coronavirus pandemic. The league made its announcement shortly after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that Americans cancel or postpone gatherings of 50-plus people.
"After careful consideration, the Las Vegas Raiders, the NFL, the NFLPA and the LVCVA have decided to cancel the 2020 Las Vegas NFL Draft celebration," Raiders owner Mark Davis said in a statement issued by the team after the NFL's announcement. "Health and safety has always been our top priority, so despite it being a major disappointment, this was the right decision."
Now, according to Farmer's sources, the event no longer will occur in Sin City at all.
NFL rumors: 2020 draft will be held in TV studio instead of Las Vegas originally appeared on NBC Sports Bay Area