Apparently, the NFL doesn't want to hear about Jerry Jones' anthem policy anymore. So now, nobody is going to hear about it.
After saying repeatedly last week that every member of his team must stand at attention on the sideline for the playing of the national anthem this season, Jones and his staff reportedly told several media outlets he will no longer speak on the topic during interviews from training camp in Oxnard, Calif.
According to a report Monday by the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram, the reason is that the NFL told Jones to stop talking about the policy he had set for his team. Reporter Mike Doocy of Dallas-area Fox 4 was told at the last minute by the Cowboys public relations staff not to ask about the national anthem and he responded by canceling the interview, the Star-Telegram reported.
The league and the NFL Players Association are working to come up with a national anthem policy agreeable to both sides before the season starts in September.
--Monday brought another round of players going down at practice, with multiple teams losing multiple players, and one team losing a player for the second time in three days.
**Carolina Panthers cornerback Ross Cockrell, who joined the Panthers on a two-year, $6.8 million deal in March, fractured his left tibia and fibula during practice and will require season-ending surgery, the team announced. After colliding with wide receiver Torrey Smith in the end zone, Cockrell was heard yelling, "My leg is broke," and head coach Ron Rivera halted practice. On Saturday, Panthers right tackle Daryl Williams suffered a dislocated kneecap and tore the medial collateral ligament in his right knee.
**Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall walked off the field with trainers after suffering a wrist injury. He did not return to practice, but head coach Vance Joseph called the injury minor and told reporters, "He'll be all right." Of greater concern is starting left tackle Garett Bolles, who "took a shot to the chin," according to Joseph, before being carted off the field and undergoing evaluation for a concussion.
**Green Bay Packers linebacker Jake Ryan reportedly yelled in pain and pounded the ground after apparently injuring his right knee during practice. Packers players huddled around Ryan as he expressed his anguish. Safety Kentrell Brice sustained a possible leg injury on a special teams drill. Both players were reportedly carted off the field though the Packers haven't yet divulged the nature of either injury.
--Quarterback Sam Darnold took part in his first training camp practice with the New York Jets, shortly after signing a reported four-year, $30.25 million fully guaranteed contract to end his holdout.
"What's up, Jets fans? Man, it's a pleasure to be signed now," Darnold said in a video tweeted by the teams. "Very excited, very special moment. Let's do it. Jet up."
The Jets made Darnold the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and the overall value of his contract was predetermined because of the league's rookie contract slotting system. The holdup was over contract language, with a particular sticking point seeming to involve whether Darnold would lose any guaranteed money were he ever disciplined or suspended by the NFL, according to Sports Illustrated.
--Ndamukong Suh once signed the biggest contract for a defensive player: six years for $114 million with a whopping $60 million in guaranteed money. Three years later, he is on a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Rams, cut by the Miami Dolphins halfway through the monster deal.
Now, Suh tells USA Today that new teammate Aaron Donald, "deserves more than what I got [from the Dolphins]."
Donald is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He didn't report to training camp with the Rams last week, holding out for the second consecutive year over contract issues. Due to make $6.892 million this season, Donald reportedly wants to surpass both Suh's deal and the one Denver's Von Miller signed two summers ago -- $70 million in guaranteed money and an annual average of just more than $19 million.
--Four months after a man sued Odell Beckham Jr. for $15 million, and a week after that same man accused him of offering to pay $1,000 to have sex with a woman, the New York Giants wide receiver has reportedly filed a countersuit against the man.
According to multiple reports, Beckham filed a countersuit against Ishmael Temple for civil extortion, alleging Beckham is the victim of an extortion plot seeking nearly $1 million.
According to reports, Beckham's countersuit claims Temple asked Beckham for $999,999, or Temple would leak details of his claims to the press. The countersuit adds that Temple and attorney Emmanuel Nsahlai lowered that amount to $225,000 when the allegations of the offer to pay for sex was made, but Beckham refused to pay.
Beckham is reportedly asking that the case be dismissed and he be awarded $29,000 in attorney fees.
--Field Level Media