Pitcher Dontrelle Willis is filing a grievance against the Baltimore Orioles that alleges that the team placed him on the restricted list and won't let him sign with another team, despite receiving permission to leave the Orioles' Triple-A affiliate.
Tripp Norton, Baltimore's director of baseball administration, gave Willis permission to leave the team last week, Willis' agent, Matt Sosnick, told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.
Dan Duquette Baltimore's executive vice president of baseball operations, told CBSSports.com on Monday that Willis left Norfolk without the organization's permission. He added that the Orioles would welcome Willis back.
While on the restricted list, Willis can't sign with another club unless Baltimore gets compensation. The 30-year-old is 72-69 with a 4.17 ERA in parts of nine major league seasons. He signed with Baltimore in late March after being released by the Philadelphia Phillies late in spring training.