Former Xavier guard Dez Wells filed a lawsuit against the university seeking damages after he was dismissed from school.last year because of sexual assault allegations against him.
Wells claims that his reputation was destroyed by the university's actions. The charges were investigated last summer by a local prosecutor who refused to charge Wells. A grand jury also declined to indict him.
The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Cincinnati, also names Rev. Michael Graham, the university's president. Wells is asking for compensation for "severe emotional distress" and reinstatement to the school, though he does not plan to return.
After his dismissal from Xavier, Wells enrolled at Maryland and played for the Terrapins last season. The NCAA ruled that he was eligible to compete immediately and the sophomore led Maryland in scoring with a 13.1 points-per-game average..
"From the moment this nightmare began, I've been trying to get everyone to understand that I am innocent," Wells said in a statement. "The supposed leaders at Xavier destroyed my reputation. It needs to make this right. Xavier needs to set the record straight."
Wells was expelled from Xavier on Aug. 3, 2012, after he said he had consensual relations with a female student. The victim contacted Cincinnati Police but never pursued charges against Wells.
"We have read the complaint and the allegations of wrongdoing are unfounded and cannot be supported," Graham said. "The process used by the Xavier University Conduct Board (UCB) applies to all of our students and is the standard used in American universities.
"After members of the Conduct Board reached their decision, the matter was considered and upheld in an appeal. The sanction for the offense was expulsion. The University has never revealed the specific charge against Dez Wells other than to say he was found responsible for a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. The university will vigorously defend the process and the decision."