The New York Jets have been under the microscope this offseason, particularly following last month's acquisition of Tim Tebow from the Denver Broncos, but team owner Woody Johnson appears to have few reservations about inviting HBO's microscope for a return visit.
Speaking to reporters on Monday at the NFL's new "pop-up" store in Manhattan, Johnson confirmed that the team has had informal discussions with the cable network about being featured on the "Hard Knocks" training camp series for a second time.
"It's something we would take a look at," Johnson said, adding that head coach Rex Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum, and other officials would be part of the decision. The Jets were last featured on the show before the 2010 season, a campaign that saw the team reach its second consecutive AFC title game before falling to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Meanwhile, former Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer told reporters that he expected Tebow to replace Mark Sanchez as the Jets' starting quarterback at some point during the 2012 season. "I don't see Sanchez being the starter for the entire season," Toomer said, adding that Sanchez "is not a great quarterback. I don't think it's a stretch to say that."
Sanchez's favorite passing target, tight end Dustin Keller, downplayed the increased media coverage the Jets have received since Tebow's arrival. "We already have hundreds in there," Keller said. "What's 100 more?"
The Jets begin off-season workouts in two weeks.