The first wave of cuts is over, and several rookies and fan favorites have survived until their final auditions this Thursday. Follow all the action of roster cut downs this week on BRB!
The Texans have made their final three required roster moves before today’s deadline, per John McClain.
Hazel, Boffeli, and McClung were all fighting for roster spots in some of the Texans deepest position groups, particularly wide receiver and offensive line. Outside of exemplary special teams performances, it was highly likely that none of them would have had a real shot at making the final 53.
Rick Smith and Bill O’Brien still have 22 more players to cut before the week one opener against Washington. While the fourth week of the preseason is widely considered the most boring football of the year due to the lack of starters playing, this Thursday’s matchup with the San Francisco 49ers is "Do or Die" for rookies and bubble players like Travis Labhart, Andre Hal, Max Bullough, and even Case Keenum. Call me crazy, but I think the drama of young players fighting for their careers is worth the price of admission alone. This should be a good one.
More from sbnation.com:
- Injury Updates On Jadeveon Clowney, Johnathan Joseph, And Chris Myers
- Houston's Waiver Priority Gives Texans Massive Advantage
- Lonnie Ballentine Placed On Injured Reserve; Three More Moves To Make Before Tomorrow's Deadline
- Houston Texans News: August 26, 2014
- Texans Cut Nine; Still Have Four More Moves To Make By Tomorrow
- The Defenseless Player Rule & Application: D.J. Swearinger v. Wes Welker