A day at the ballpark turned tragic for a 28-year-old schoolteacher who choked on a hot dog before Sunday's Chicago Cubs-Cincinnati Reds game and died on Tuesday.
Maureen Oleskiewicz began choking during the singing of the national anthem, according to numerous reports. She suddenly slumped and fell between rows of seats in the right-field bleachers and was unresponsive to efforts to save her life.
"She just went down," her brother Martin told the Chicago Tribune. A nurse who was in the crowd and emergency medical technicians tried to revive Oleskiewicz, but were unable to do so.
"They were saying she didn't have a pulse," her brother said. "It felt hopeless."
Maureen Oleskiewicz didn't grab her throat. She never made a sound and never exhibited any sign that she was in distress, her brother said.
Martin Oleskiewicz said he and his sister were enjoying lunch and hoping to catch a souvenir before the game. It wasn't until his sister fell that he realized something was wrong.
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Oleskiewicz was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where she was kept alive until 9:10 a.m. Tuesday so doctors could harvest her organs for donation.
"We are saddened to hear news of the untimely death of Maureen Oleskiewicz," the Cubs said in a statement. "We express our deepest sympathy to her family and friends. We will continue to keep her family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."