Sweet 16: Cards top Vols, 75-64

Howie Lindsey, Publisher
Cardinal Sports

Fourth-seeded Louisville got 23 points from Asia Durr, 19 from Mariya Moore and 14 points and 12 rebounds from Myisha Hines-Allen to beat fifth-seeded Tennessee to advance to the Sweet 16 Monday night.


Gail Kamenish

"It's great," Walz said. "It was exciting to see our kids as excited as they were. It's honestly why we do what we do. I'm very hard on them and I am very demanding because I don't know any other way to be. ... But just to see the smiles on their faces and how excited they were, was great."

Louisville led for most of the first half and only relinquished the lead near the end of the 3rd Quarter as Tennessee made an 11-2 run. Louisville out-scored the Vols 29-17 in the 4th Quarter to hand the Vols their first NCAA Second Round loss ever.

"You gotta make plays and we just didn't do that," Tennessee coach Holly Warlick said. "In the fourth quarter, obviously, we just didn't get it done."

The 4th Quarter was dramatic. The Cardinals were down 47-46 to start the quarter, but back-to-back baskets for Mariya Moore put Louisville up 51-47 with just over eight minutes left. After her fourth three, she made a gesture like she was putting pistols back in their holsters.

"I told myself not to celebrate, but just get back on defense," Moore said. "I don't know what happened."

"She was like 1 for her last 21 so she could have done a cartwheel for all I care," Walz joked.

Moore hit a three in the corner on an inbounds play to put Louisville up 54-47. The Cardinals extended their lead to 62-51 with just over four minutes remaining.

"She was outstanding today - 5 for 5," Warlick said. "I thought their three-point shooting separated them from us today. ... We knew how she could play, but we let her get loose."

A Tennessee three cut Louisville's lead to 64-57. Louisville got a 1-2 trip to the foul line by Durr, but Tennessee got a jumper to inch closer. The Vols had a shot to cut the margin to a single possession, but airballed a three.

"We were all just focused on getting a stop," Durr said. "I was focused on stop-score-stop. We knew that's what we needed to do."

Louisville grabbed the rebound and Tennessee was whistled for an intentional foul with 1:43 left. Hines-Allen hit both free throws, but Tennessee countered with a driving basket - and a free throw - by Jamie Nared.

Up 67-62 with 1:22 left, Durr hit two free throws to put Louisville up 69-62. A breakaway layup by Briahanna Jackson effectively iced the game with Louisville up 71-63 with less than a minute left.

What to Read Next