- Thomas Pham (CF), 0 for 3, BB
- Randal Grichuk (LF), 0 for 4, 3 Ks
- Mike O'Neill came in as a defensive substitute for Grichuk.
- Stephen Piscotty (RF), 0 for 4, K
- Xavier Scruggs (1B), 1 for 4, K, R
- Pete Kozma (SS), 2 for 3, BB, SB
- Zach Petrick, 5.0 IP, 7 Ks, 0 BBs, 1 H, 0 ER
- Kevin Siegrist, 2.0 IP, 4 Ks, H
- Eric Fornataro, 2.0 IP, K
An undeniably fantastic outing for Zach Petrick, following his disaster last week when he failed to retire a single batter. It has been a bumpy season for Petrick, after breezing through AA, however, in his last 10 games he has 31 Ks to 10 BBs and a 3.32 ERA. Hopefully that's reason for some optimism that Petrick will close the year on a positive note.
I am curious about the decision to sub Grichuk for O'Neill. Grichuk is supposed to be a borderline CF, and O'Neill has spent the bulk of his playing time in LF.
Among the handful of guys for Fresno that shut down the bulk of the Redbird offense, was Adam Reifer, whom some may remember as an 11th round pick out of UCR. Reifer was rising as a dominant reliever in the Cardinals system before having knee surgery in 2011. His numbers didn't quite recover in 2012. Despite posting a 1.42 ERA for 41 IP for the New Orleans Zephyrs last season, he has yet to make an appearance in the major leagues. His ERA this year has more than quadrupled to 5.92, despite a K:BB ratio of 69:38 that bests last season's mark of 37:25.
- Breyvic Valera (2B), 1 for 4, R, CS
- Alex Mejia (SS), 2 for 3, K, RBI
- Cody Stanley (C), 0 for 3, 2 Ks, BB
- Charlie Tilson (CF), 1 for 4, 2B, R
- Rafael Ortega (PH), BB
- Kyle Hald, 6.0 IP, 8 Ks, 2 BBs, 5 Hits, HR, 2 ER
- Mitch Harris, 1 IP, 2 Ks, 2 Hits, ER
Mejia is hitting .342 in his last 10 games, with five multi-hit games.
Palm Beach and Peoria's games were suspended.
- Darren Seferina (2B), 1 for 2, BB, RBI, CS
- Danny Diekroger (3B), 1 for 5, K
- Nick Thompson (RF), 0 for 2, BB, RBI
- Alex De Leon (DH), 0 for 4
- Jake Stone (1B), 1 for 4, K, R
- Nick Lomascolo, 1 1/3 IP, 3 Ks, H, 0 ER
- Magneuris Sierra (CF), 2 for 5, R
- Edmundo Sosa (SS), 1 for 5, 3 Errors
- Malik Collymore (DH), 1 for 3, BB, K, R, CS
- Elier Rodriguez (1B-C), 1 for 4, 2B, 2 Ks
- Jack Flaherty, 5.0 IP, 4 Ks, 0 BBs, 1 Hit, 0 ER
In just 22 2/3 IP, Flaherty has 28 Ks against 4 BBs. Solid for a high school pick, even in the Gulf Coast League. I'm excited to see what he does next season, hopefully in a full season league.
- Casey Turgeon (SS), 1 for 4, 2B, 2 Ks, R, Error
- Blake Drake (CF), 3 for 5, K, R
- Chris Rivera (2B-3B), 0 for 5, 2 Ks
Memphis: Boone Whiting
Springfield: Sam Gaviglio
Palm Beach: Tyrell Jenkins
Palm Beach: Nick Petree (2nd Game)
Peoria: TBD (2nd Game)
State College: Dewin Perez
Johnson City: Matt Pearce
More from sbnation.com:
- Kolten Wong's rocky rookie year
- From prospect lists to the majors
- St. Louis Cardinals Prospect Report: Gonzales, Reyes toss stellar starts, Pham, Scruggs crush baseballs with impunity
- Cardinals at Pirates Series Preview August 25-27
- Cardinals @ Phillies recap 8.24- Cards drop rubber game