Sources: Rockets and Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas bypass contract extensions

Shams Charania
Terrence Jones blocks Klay Thompson's shot in last year's Western Conference Finals. (Getty)
Terrence Jones blocks Klay Thompson's shot in last year's Western Conference Finals. (Getty)

The Houston Rockets and forwards Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas are bypassing contract extensions before the Nov. 2 deadline, unable to gain traction in discussions, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Neither side has had much movement in extension talks, sources said.

Jones and Motiejunas will be eligible for significant long-term deals as restricted free agents in 2016 while Houston is able to retain salary-cap room.

Jones has been an impact player alongside Dwight Howard in the Rockets’ frontcourt, averaging 11.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 33 games last season. The Rockets selected Jones with the No. 18 overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft out of Kentucky.

Jones, 23, will need to remain healthy and focused this season, placing faith in his ability to perform for a new deal next summer. He missed most of the 2014-15 season due to serious leg and lung issues.

Motiejunas, a skilled 7-foot shooter, is coming off his best pro season. He averaged 12 points and 5.9 rebounds and shot 50.4 percent in 71 games before undergoing back surgery in April. Motiejunas, 25, missed the Rockets’ season-opening loss to Denver and continues to rehab. Houston acquired Motiejunas in a 2011 draft-day deal with Minnesota. He was the 20th overall selection by the Timberwolves.

Jones and Motiejunas have both benefited from Houston’s NBA Development League system, elevating their production at the NBA level after early trips to Rio Grande Valley.

More NBA coverage: