Seahawks 23, Bears 17 (OT)

The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange

CHICAGO -- Rookie quarterback Russell Wilson threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to Sidney Rice after 7:27 of overtime Sunday to give the Seattle Seahawks a 23-17 victory over the Chicago Bears.
Wilson led two dramatic drives at the end of the game. The first was a 97-yard march in 12 plays that ended with a 14-yard touchdown pass to Golden Tate with 24 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter for a 17-14 lead.
The Bears forced the overtime when Jay Cutler's 56-yard toss to Brandon Marshall allowed Robbie Gould to kick a 46-yard field goal as time expired.
But Seattle won the coin toss in the extra period and never relinquished the ball, driving 80 yards in 12 plays. There were a pair of pivotal third down conversions, one on a 12-yard scramble by Wilson, who had 71 yards on nine carries, the other on a 12-yard pass to backup wide receiver Doug Baldwin.
Wilson completed 23 of 37 passes in the game for 293 yards.
The overtime was created by two dramatic drives in the last four minutes of the fourth quarter.
Wilson, showing the poise of a veteran, kept the fourth-quarter drive alive on a 4th-and-3, seven-yard pass to Zach Miller that carried to the Chicago 41-yard line. He threw for 27 yards to Sidney Rice on the next play and then, one play later, found Tate, who caught the ball around the five-yard line, weaved through a couple of defenders and leaped into the end zone.
Two of the 12 plays were scrambles by Wilson that gained 19 yards. Seattle even managed to overcome a holding penalty that created a 3rd-and-14 hole that Wilson eventually escaped with his pass to Miller. Wilson completed 6 of 9 passes on the drive for 80 yards.
But Marshall's leaping catch in front of two defenders gave Gould an opportunity to force the game into overtime.
Earlier, Chicago had missed two opportunities to take command of the game in the first half.
Leading, 7-0, the Bears passed up a short field goal and an 8.5-minute drive ended when Michael Bush was stopped on a 4th down run at the Seattle 15-yard line. A potential touchdown eluded the Bears when a wide-open Drew Bennett dropped a pass from Jay Cutler. Bennett later left the game with a concussion, another blow to an already depleted Chicago offense.
The Seahawks tied the game shortly before halftime, driving 94 yards in 9 plays with Lynch scoring on a 4-yard run. Two big third-down passes from quarterback Russell Wilson to wide receiver Golden Tate were the key. The first, on 3rd-and-4, went for 18 yards, the second, on 3rd-and-6, went for 49.
After Chicago went 3-and-out, the Seahawks got the ball back gain and Steven Hauschka kicked a 31-yard field goal with five seconds remaining in the half for 10-7 lead.
Notes: The Bears offensive line, rebuilt due mostly to injuries, included guards Edwin Williams, making his first start of the year, and Gabe Carimi, who had lost his job as a starting tackle, making his first start at guard, and Jonathan Scott, making his third start at right tackle. ... Chicago also was playing without Devin Hester, its premier kick returner and third among wide receivers in receptions on the team, and lost Bennett late in the first half due to a concussion. ... Seattle also missed a great opportunity for a long-range touchdown in the first half. Wilson underthrew Braylon Edwards, who was open deep, in the first quarter.

What to Read Next