Rio Olympics 2016: Thursday #LochteGate update — 3 swimmers to meet with authorities

Sporting News
American swimmer Ryan Lochte will not compete in the FINA World Championships in Budapest next year.

Ryan Lochte's 10-month ban now official; teammates out through end of 2016

American swimmer Ryan Lochte will not compete in the FINA World Championships in Budapest next year.

The story — dubbed #LochteGate for Twitter trending purposes — continues to evolve, but this much is clear as of Thursday morning: Three of four  U.S. Olympic swimmers who said they were robbed at gunpoint earlier this week in Rio remain in Brazil while Ryan Lochte has made it back to the U.S.

— The three swimmers who remain in Brazil planned to meet Thursday with law enforcement to discuss the reported robbery, a U.S. Olympic Committee official said. Two of the swimmers — Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger — were prevented from boarding their flight home Wednesday, but according to USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky have been released by authorities "with the understanding that they would continue their discussions about the incident on Thursday." Meantime, teammate Jimmy Feigen "is also communicating with local authorities and intends to make further statements regarding the incident on Thursday as well," Sandusky said, as Feigen navigates a judge's order that keeps him in Brazil. .

— Feigen surfaced late Wednesday and, according to the USOC, is cooperating with officials after failing to show up for the team flight home Wednesday. "I’m just trying to give Brazil what they need or what they want and get out of here,'' Feigen told USA Today Sports. "It’s a hassle. But I’m safe, everything’s fine. Until this goes in a direction where I can see it, I can't comment.''

— Bentz and Conger cleared customs at the Rio airport but were not allowed to board their plane for the flight back to America, the United States Olympic Committee confirmed. "Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz were detained Wednesday night shortly before their flight was scheduled to depart from Rio," Sandusky said. Representatives from the U.S. consulate arrived at the airport shortly after the swimmers were stopped from leaving the country, The Associated Press reported.

— Earlier Wednesday, a Brazilian judge ordered Feigen and Lochte to be remain in Brazil pending an investigation, but Lochte already had returned to the United States. An attorney later told The Associated Press the swimmers would not be allowed to leave Brazil until they testified.

— NBC's Matt Lauer said on the air Wednesday night that he had spoken on the phone with Lochte and that the swimmer "strongly denied" any implication that he and his teammates had made up the story, saying that was "absolutely not the case." He did note one difference in Lochte's story, as the swimmer told him the gun had not been put to his head but "pointed in his general direction."

— As to be expected, the Internet is having a field day — mostly at Lochte's expense for leaving his teammates in Brazil.

What to Read Next