Dolphins T Martin leaves team

The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange


DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins right tackle Jonathan Martin left the team, with conflicting reports saying he is either in a treatment facility or spending time with family after an incident Monday in the team cafeteria in which players jokingly refused to sit with him.
Martin's absence is a complication the Dolphins (3-4) didn't need as they try to end their four-game losing streak against the Cincinnati Bengals (6-2) on Thursday night at Sun Life Stadium.
Fox Sports reported Martin slammed his food tray to the floor and left the cafeteria, and hasn't been seen at the facility since. It's not clear what kind of facility Martin reportedly entered.
Martin, the Dolphins' second-round pick from Stanford in 2012, wasn't at practice Monday or Tuesday. The Dolphins listed his absence as "illness" on the injury report.
The Dolphins didn't have much to say about the reports of Martin's absence.
"Jonathan Martin's status was addressed on the injury report as an illness," said team spokesman Harvey Greene.
Tyson Clabo, who lost his starting job because he'd allowed eight sacks in six games, would likely start at right tackle in Martin's place.
Martin started the season at left tackle, but switched to right tackle last week after the Dolphins, desperate to replace Clabo, traded to acquire Baltimore left tackle Bryant McKinnie.
Martin, who played left tackle in college and has said that's his NFL goal, said last week he'd take the change in stride.
"You can approach this two different ways," he said. "You can go in the tank and be one of those guys who (complains) and moans and is a cancer in the locker room. Or you can be a guy who goes out there and can be a professional, play as hard as I can.
"My mindset is that I'm still going to try better and do whatever I can do help the team win."

What to Read Next