It's back to work for Xander Bogaerts.
Xander Bogaerts is off the seven-day disabled list and back in the lineup Saturday night as the Red Sox take on the Rays.
|BOSTON RED SOX||TAMPA BAY RAYS|
|Brock Holt - 3B||Ben Zobrist - SS|
|Dustin Pedroia - 2B||Wil Myers - RF|
|David Ortiz - DH||Matt Joyce - DH|
|Yoenis Cespedes - LF||Evan Longoria - 3B|
|Daniel Nava - RF||James Loney - 1B|
|Allen Craig - 1B||Brandon Guyer - LF|
|Mookie Betts - CF||Logan Forsythe - 2B|
|Xander Bogaerts - SS||Ryan Hanigan - C|
|David Ross - C||Kevin Kiermaier - CF|
|Allen Webster - RHP||Jake Odorizzi - RHP|
Xander's trip to the 7-day disabled list was the result of an abundance of caution on the part of the Red Sox, not wanting to take any risks with their young shortstop after he took a pitch to the helmet. Bogaerts felt ready to go shortly after the incident, but with nothing much left to play for, the Sox had no reason to rush him back no matter how he was feeling.
Bogaerts takes the place of Anthony Ranaudo on the roster for the weekend. Chances are Ranaudo's going to be sticking with the team for now, though. Come Monday, it will be September, and rosters will expand, letting Ranaudo keep his new rotation spot if that's in the cards.
First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. ET with broadcasts on NESN and WEEI.
More from sbnation.com:
- How the trend of accelerated prospect development has affected rookie offensive success
- Mike Napoli hits upper deck with his longest homer of the year
- Who will the Red Sox call up in September?
- It's time to change the Red Sox rotation
- After signing Rusney Castillo, what next for the Red Sox?
- Should the Red Sox sell high on Brock Holt?