Although the social media world was in uproar over the length of time Rousimar Palhares held onto a submission of Steve Carl, World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo said he has no problem with it.
In fact, Sefo said on Saturday that if one thinks the submission was held for too long, then they should be committed.
“Absolutely not,” Sefo responded to MMAWeekly.com by text message when asked if Palhares held the submission for an unreasonable amount of time. “Whoever thinks that is crazy!!”
Palhares locked on an inverted heel hook in the first round to earn the WSOF welterweight title. In doing so, Carl tapped to the hold, but Palhares did not let go. It wasn't until referee Yves Lavigne pulled Palhares off his opponent that the hold was released.
Almost immediately after the submission, Twitter was abuzz with people saying Palhares held the lock for too long.
The fighter sparked controversy in the past for holding onto submissions long after his opponents give up. As a result of holding onto a heel hook of Mike Pierce at a UFC fight last October, Palhares received a life ban from the UFC for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Sefo said in December that he would not put up with any of Palhares' habits once the fighter competed in the WSOF.
“I will not tolerate any of that nonsense that happened before,” Sefo told MMAWeekly.com last year. ”I’m pretty sure if he does it here, he won’t have somewhere else to go.”
For his first WSOF title defense, Palhares will face Jon Fitch next, likely in summer.
(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)