Press Box: Texas' Brown says he isn't leaving

University of Texas football coach Mack Brown denied a report that indicated he would step down in the coming days. made the initial report, citing "high-level sources."

Brown refuted the story when reached by text from

"I haven't seen (the) article," Brown wrote via text. "I'm in Florida recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here. I have not decided to step down."

--Bowling Green's Dave Clawson was hired as the new football coach at Wake Forest.

The announcement came days after Clawson led Bowling Green (10-3) to an upset of then-No. 18 Northern Illinois in the Mid-American Conference championship game on Friday. The Falcons were invited to the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.

Clawson's hiring caps Wake Forest's weeklong search to find Jim Grobe's successor. Grobe resigned Dec. 2 after a 4-8 season in 2013 and a 13-year stay that included five bowl games, but ended with five straight losing seasons. Grobe's record at Wake Forest was 77-82.

Clawson, 46, had a 32-31 record at Bowling Green, with two previous bowl appearances (2009, 2012).


Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf has been suspended two games for boarding Boston Bruins defenseman Kevan Miller, the league announced Tuesday.

The incident occurred at 17:43 of the third period on Sunday. No penalty was assessed to Phaneuf on the play.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Phaneuf will forfeit $66,666.66. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

--The Winnipeg Jets will host the 2016 NHL Heritage Classic outdoor game, the league announced.

The game will take place at the Investors Group Field, but the exact date and opponent are yet to be determined.


Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight prospect Shane del Rosario died Monday after suffering a heart attack two weeks ago, the UFC and his family announced. He was 30 years old.

Del Rosario was rushed to the hospital Nov. 26 "in full cardiac arrest," his manager Jason House wrote on Twitter. He was in critical condition at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach, Calif., until Monday.

The Hacienda Heights, Calif., native was a top prospect coming over from Strikeforce to the UFC, but lost his first two fights with the organization. His final bout came last December. He finished his MMA career with an 11-2 record.