---New York Knicks guard Ronnie Brewer is out six weeks after having knee surgery on his left meniscus, the New York Daily News reported Friday.
Brewer also made an announcement via Twitter.
"If y'all haven't already heard I had successful meniscus surgery," he wrote. "Started rehab this morning. Minor setback for a major comeback."
The Knicks told the Daily News that Brewer tore the meniscus in the last two weeks and will rehab for six weeks.
That means Brewer would be ready to return in mid-October. The Knicks begin the season Nov. 1 at the Brooklyn Nets.
Brewer, going into his seventh season, is looking to fill the void left by Iman Shumpert, who tore an ACL in the playoffs. Shumpert is not expected back until at least sometime in December. Brewer is noted for his defense. Last season, he averaged 6.9 points on 42.7 percent shooting for the Chicago Bulls.
Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin will play in the Kontinental Hockey League if there is an NHL Lockout, the left wing told reporters Friday.
"We'll see what's going to happen," he said after an informal practice with teammates at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington. "No one wants to be in a lockout but if [there is] I'm going to play in the KHL. It's not a surprise. I will go."
The NHL's Collective Bargaining Agreement is scheduled to expire Sept. 15 and it appears the players will be locked out at 11:59 p.m. ET Without an agreement.
NHL players are scheduled to meet in New York on Tuesday to discuss their strategy, but Ovechkin said he won't attend. He has spent the past week skating with teammates.
---NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, and his brother, Steve Fehr, are scheduled to meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly Friday to determine where each side currently stands, according to an ESPNNewYork.com report.
The informal talks will take at NHL offices. Discussions ended last Friday over a disagreement over economic issues, but the sides have maintained contact.
Daly and Steve Fehr dined together Wednesday night and will meet again with Don Fehr and Bettman. Assorted players may also attend.
Nationwide Series point leader Elliott Sadler is leaving Richard Childress Racing in 2013 and is already discussing potential Nationwide and Sprint Cup rides with several organizations, the driver confirmed to ESPN.com
Sadler is in talks with Joe Gibbs Racing for a full-time Nationwide and part-time Cup ride, and has a change with another organization for next season, ESPN said, citing sources close to the situation.
"Right now, I don't have anything with any team," Sadler said. "We're working on some things and we are talking to some different teams, and hopefully some will come together."
JGR has a spot to fill after Joey Logano announced Tuesday he would drive the No. 22 Sprint Cup car at Penske Racing next season. Logano was offered a full-time Nationwide and part-time Cup ride to stay at JGR in 2013.
Sadler didn't elaborate on why he opted to leave.
"I just think sometimes circumstances ... the stars don't always line up," Sadler told reporters. "It's no big deal. We're just not going to be able to race for those guys next year."
Though it doesn't have much chance of happening, the NCAA and the men's basketball selection committee have discussed moving the Final Four tournament to an arena for the first time since 2016.
The topic was broached at the selection committee's summer meeting and at the National Association of Basketball Coaches meeting last week by new NCAA executive vice president for championships Mark Lewis.
"It's something we would want to explore," Lewis said. "What's the best place to play a basketball game? Is it harder to play in a dome? We've got to do what's right for the game of basketball. I have a sports background but not a basketball guy, so the answer should be driven by what's the best experience for the student-athletes."
The next four Final Fours are locked in for domes in Atlanta (2013), Arlington, Texas ('14), Indianapolis ('15) and Houston ('16). This year, the NCAA is supposed to send out a request for a proposal for the 2017 Final Four and beyond.
The last time the Final Four was held in an arena was 1996 at the Meadowlands in New Jersey.
Five football players from DeMatha Catholic High School (Hyattsville, Md.), have been removed from the nationally renowned team for allegedly hiring prostitutes, according to a Washington Post report.
The team was in a North Carolina hotel after a 52-14 season-opening win over Hillside last Friday, and ordered prostitutes from a web site. Two of the players have since withdrawn from the school, two others have been recommended for expulsion pending appeal, and the fifth faces a disciplinary hearing, the Post reported, citing two people with knowledge of the incident.
Eighteen adults supervised the trip and a final hallway check was conducted at 4 a.m. on the morning after the Friday game. A parent of one of the players who withdrew said the players brought the three prostitutes in at 5 a.m. All five are minors and non-starters on the team, according to the paper.
"I can't comment on anything except to say when people are on field trips they are exceptionally chaperoned," DeMatha principal Dan McMahon told the Post. "On this trip there was full coverage by supervisors and we are extremely pleased with the way we monitor kids and keep everybody safe."
---Longtime ESPN sportscaster Chris Berman has signed a multiyear deal to stay with the network.
Berman will continue wearing his many hats, including serving as host of "Sunday NFL Countdown," "Monday Night Countdown," the NFL Draft, the MLB Home Run Derby and the U.S. Open.
His extension will begin in '13. Berman joined the cable sports network in October 1979, one month after it launched.
---CBS advertising spots for its broadcast of Super Bowl XLVII are more than 90 percent sold out, according to a USA Today report.
The 30-second time slots cost a "record $3.7 million to $3.8 million vs. an average $3.5 million during the 2012 broadcast on NBC," CBS Executive VP/Sports Sales & Marketing John Bogusz told the paper. "We have a handful of units left. We're pacing well ahead of last time we had the game."
The paper noted that Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo, Frito-Lay and Hyundai are among the biggest repeat advertisers.
Bogusz added that a large number of automakers will advertise, though GM had previously announced it won't return to the game.
The Super Bowl is scheduled for Feb. 3, 2013.
---The city of Chicago will not allow Lance Armstrong to compete in its marathon, Runner's World reported Friday.
The city is upholding the ruling of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that Armstrong, which took away his seven Tour de France cycling championships and banned him for life from all athletic competitions under its jurisdiction because of doping allegations. Armstrong recently decided to longer fight those allegations.
USA Track and Field, which governs the marathon, must enforce all USADA rulings.
"We got the news (Thursday)," said Mark Fabiani, Armstrong's spokesman.
Armstrong planned to run in Chicago for the team that sponsors his foundation, Livestrong, which raises money for cancer programs. Livestrong has sponsored races and runners in the past. The marathon is Oct. 7.
"It seems a little over the top to pursue him beyond the cycling arena to me," said John Conley, whose company owns and operates the Livestrong Austin Marathon and Half Marathon.
Armstrong, however, might get to keep his bronze medal from the 2000 Sydney Olympics.